Debt collection agency in Germany?
Thread poster: Wouter Vanhees

Wouter Vanhees  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Flemish
+ ...
Nov 21, 2007

Hello,

I have problems with a translation agency in Germany I worked for in August. They simply refuse to pay me. I have a PO for the job, sent them an invoice by email, as well as several reminders after the payment due date had passed, but they won't reply to anything. Quite frustrating. The amount isn't enormous (367 euro) but that doesn't matter. I've threatened forcing the payment by going to a German debt collection agency, but the translation agency still doesn't seem to care. So here's my question: do you know any reliable debt collection agencies in Germany, preferably working by the 'no cure, no pay' adagio? Any advice is welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Ortelius

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:59
English to German
+ ...
Blue Board / Zentrales Mahngericht Nov 21, 2007

Hi Ortelius,
Slightly OT, but have you posted a Blue Board entry?

You may want to search the forums for "Zentrales Mahngericht" - there's some information which you will find interesting.

Best regards,
Ralf

Gisela Murdter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:59
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Zentrales Mahngericht instead of Debt Collection Agency? Nov 21, 2007

How good is your German? If it is pretty good, you might want to go via the Mahngericht. If you don't live in Germany you have to go via the Zentrales Mahngericht in Berlin. You can do this omnline:

https://www.online-mahnantrag.de/omahn/Mahnantrag?_ts=838010-1141121731582&Command=start&bld=BER&home=http://www.berlin.de/SenJust/Gerichte/AG/mahnsachen.html

Mahngericht und Mahnverfahren - Berlin.de
Mahngericht und Mahnverfahren. Zentrales Mahngericht Berlin-Brandenburg. Amtsgericht Wedding: Hausanschrift: Brunnenplatz 1 13357 Berlin Postanschrift: ...
www.berlin.de/sen/justiz/gerichte/ag/mahnsachen.html

Everything is explained on the website - sometimes not very clearly, I'm afraid - and it doesn't cost you anything upfront. The cost is deducted from the money the Mahngericht recoups. In your case it should be Euro 23. No need at this stage to involve a Rechtsanwalt.

But if your German is a s basic as my French - well, I'm afraid in that case you will have to wait if someone recommends a reliable debt collection agency.

Gisela

Belgium
English to Flemish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Zentrales Mahngericht Nov 22, 2007

Thanks for the information about the Zentrales Mahngericht. I've looked at the website, but I'm afraid my German isn't good enough to use it.

I've taken a look at the Blue Board and found that this agency is a notorious bad payer. They're not even allowed to post jobs on ProZ.com anymore. If only I'd known all this from the start...

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:59
English to German
+ ...
Online-Mahnbescheid Nov 22, 2007

Hi again,

Thanks for the information about the Zentrales Mahngericht. I've looked at the website, but I'm afraid my German isn't good enough to use it.

Try this one: www.mahnbescheid.de/infos_eng.html - note that this is provided by a law firm, so there will be fees involved.

I've taken a look at the Blue Board and found that this agency is a notorious bad payer. They're not even allowed to post jobs on ProZ.com anymore. If only I'd known all this from the start...

I realise this won't help you now, but it underlines the importance of the Blue Board. Don't hesitate to post an entry yourself.

Best regards,
Ralf

Belgium
English to Flemish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
BB Nov 22, 2007

Indeed Ralf, you're absolutely right.

In the meantime I've decided to constantly send the agency email-reminders until they get sick of it and decide to pay.

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:59
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Not all attorney or agencies in Germany will charge you fees Dec 14, 2007

I received a very good recommendation from an agency client of mine for an attorney that charges fees only to the debtor. I was a bit surprised at this, but apparently there are a number of collection offices that work this way.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Debt collection agency in Germany?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums