Debt collection agency in the Netherlands
Thread poster: Anne Key
Anne Key
Local time: 15:56
Dutch to English
+ ...
Nov 23, 2007

Hello all,

I am based in the UK, and am currently experiencing payment problems with an agency based in the Netherlands (see "Payment problems - sorry, bit of a rant").

In a nutshell, I completed a legal translation for this agency 2 months ago, and have yet to be paid.

I've tried to resolve the situation amicably, but the agency's manager claims that the company is experiencing liquidity problems due to a growing list of non/late-paying clients.

They also claim they will pay me as soon as they receive the cash, but couldn't give any firm commitments.

In the meantime, they continue to employ 2 part-time secretaries and are in the process of relocating.

Needless to say, I would like to be paid (the total outstanding amount is approx. EUR 600), and am assessing whether to enlist the services of a (Dutch) collection agency. Would this be a viable option in my case?

Could any of you recommend a reputable agency, one that doesn't charge up-front fees?

I have never had to resort to this kind of action before, so am a little nervous / apprehencious.

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions / advice.

Anne

[Edited at 2007-11-23 10:35]

[Edited at 2007-11-23 10:46]

Direct link Reply with quote

Buck
Netherlands
Local time: 16:56
Dutch to English
Legal aid Nov 23, 2007

If you don't know a lawyer who could send an "official" letter just to show them you mean business, you could try the wetswinkel in your area.
Good luck

Anne Key
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Based in the UK Nov 23, 2007

Hello Buck,

Many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the situation is complicated by the fact that I'm based in the UK (I forgot to mention this in my original post).

My father lives in the Netherlands, but I'd rather not involve him at this stage.

I've seen a few websites of Dutch debt collection agencies offering their services, but am not sure how reliable they are.

Is it possible to contact a Wetswinkel from the UK?

Anne

[Edited at 2007-11-23 10:47]

Hester Eymers  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
No cure no pay Nov 23, 2007

Hi Anne,

When I had a client who was seemingly unwilling to pay, I searched the internet for a debt collection agency. I found two who worked on 'no cure no pay' basis and made a reliable impression. I didn't need to use their services though, just warning my client that I was going to call in a debt collection agency did the trick.

You can take a look at their websites:
http://www.ducrocq.nl/
http://www.hvbjuristen.nl/

Good luck!

Hester

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
No cure no pay - but if cure, then pay a lot :-( Nov 23, 2007

At least that is the impression I got when reading all the advertising material from debt collection agencies that I got while living in the Netherlands. Up to 20% if I am not mistaken. And mostly, they do not even try very hard.

In my only case that I had to use debt collection services, I (succesfully) hired a Rotterdam based Gerechtsdeurwaarder office, that only charged the normal fee (deurwaardersverschotten) and put the rest on top of the bill of the debitor. If he is not succesful however, you will end up paying for that as well. It's up to you which risk you are willing to take. I can give you the contact data of the office I worked with by private mail, if you are interested.

[Bearbeitet am 2007-11-23 13:28]

Anne Key
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Payment promised Nov 23, 2007

Dear Wolfgang and Hester,

Many thanks for your suggestions and advice.

s if by magic (?), I have just received an e-mail, stating that payment has been processed and should arrive on Monday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but the "threat" seems to have worked...

Thanks again for your help,

Anne

Elzbieta
Netherlands
Dutch to Polish
+ ...
Cure = (small) succes fee Nov 23, 2007

Just in case the payment won't arrive as promised, you could try this agency: www.nedincasso.nl
I only needed their services twice but I was pretty happy with how they handled this. In case of 'no cure no pay', if they won't succeed in collecting your money, you won't pay anything, and if they do, you have to pay 6% success fee. This applies to the total amount due, so in case you already sent an official reminder / final notice and increased the initial invoice amount with interest and administration costs (which you definitely should have done in this situation), this may by enough to cover those costs and still get the full invoice amount payed.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
dont forget to mention your experience on the BlueBoard Nov 24, 2007

... am currently experiencing payment problems with an agency based in the Netherlands

Anne Key
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Payment received! Nov 28, 2007

Hello again everyone, and just a quick update to say I was finally paid a few days ago!
I'm over the moon, and have certainly learned my lesson. I'll keep all your suggestions for future reference, just in case...

Thanks again,

A delighted Anne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Debt collection agency in the Netherlands

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums