Elena Aleksandrova
Elena Aleksandrova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 22:38
Member (2009)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Nov 27, 2007

I have to do a medium size translation (English-Bulgarian) and to create a glossary from the terms. I got the PO for the translation only and it looks like they are not going to pay me for creating the glossary. I'd like some advice how much to charge them for that.

I appologize if this has been discussed somewhere else - I didn't have much time to look.

Thank you

Elena

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-11-27 12:41]

Angelica Kjellström
Angelica Kjellström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 21:38
German to Swedish
+ ...
Charge per hour or do not charge anything as a courtesy Nov 27, 2007

If this is only a small part integrated in the translation I would not charge anything for it. However, if is is a major job I would charge per hour.

Good luck!

Angelica Kjellström

hugocar
hugocar

Local time: 15:38
English to Spanish
I apologize.... Nov 27, 2007

I apologize for not answering your question. I didn't have much time to write it.

Laurent Slowack
Laurent Slowack  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:38
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Charging for Glossary - No Nov 27, 2007

Dear Elena,

If the glossary for your 'medium size job' - let's say 10000 words, will help you to quicken up your translation work, you may well consider not charging for it, and send it as a plus that might help your client decide to contact you in the future as well.
Also, the glossary gives you a picture of the complete text and as text management and preparation I prefer to do it myself mostly for any medium size translation, and add it to the delivered translation for free
... See more
Dear Elena,

If the glossary for your 'medium size job' - let's say 10000 words, will help you to quicken up your translation work, you may well consider not charging for it, and send it as a plus that might help your client decide to contact you in the future as well.
Also, the glossary gives you a picture of the complete text and as text management and preparation I prefer to do it myself mostly for any medium size translation, and add it to the delivered translation for free.

Best of luck.
Collapse

Haiyang Ai (X)
Haiyang Ai (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:38
English to Chinese
+ ...
No charge Nov 27, 2007

I also would not charge my clients for creating bilingual glossaries, unless it is a MAJOR high volume job.
But if you're translating of Excel-based cell-by-cell glossaries, you'll sure want to charge by the word.

Kind regards,
Haiyang

[Edited at 2007-11-27 15:24]

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:38
Dutch to English
+ ...
Miaow Nov 27, 2007

Hugo Carnevali wrote:

I apologize for not answering your question. I didn't have much time to write it.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Free or charge per hour Nov 27, 2007

Elena Aleksandrova wrote:
I have to do a medium size translation (English-Bulgarian) and to create a glossary from the terms.

The fact that they're speficially asking you to create a glossary, means that they must want it, therefore it has value to them, so... charge for it.

If they were to give me a list of words, or a very clear indication of which words to add to the glossary, and if it is a straight source-target glossary with no additional stuff in it, then I'd be willing to do it for free, because I have to tools and the know-how to do it very quickly.

It is important that you determine what they want in the glossary.

One option is that they provide you with a list of terms that occur in the source text, for which they want translations. Another option is to say "all words or phrases in the source text that occur more than once" must go into the glossary. In both these cases I can do it very, very easily (using PlusTools' Extract feature and Wordfast's glossary features).

But if the terms they want, are not included in the source text, or if it will take you a fair amount of time extra to create the glossary, then they should pay for it.

Say, how long is a medium-sized translation? 20 000 words?

Elena Aleksandrova
Elena Aleksandrova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Member (2009)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Nov 27, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:

Elena Aleksandrova wrote:
I have to do a medium size translation (English-Bulgarian) and to create a glossary from the terms.

The fact that they're speficially asking you to create a glossary, means that they must want it, therefore it has value to them, so... charge for it.

If they were to give me a list of words, or a very clear indication of which words to add to the glossary, and if it is a straight source-target glossary with no additional stuff in it, then I'd be willing to do it for free, because I have to tools and the know-how to do it very quickly.

One option is that they provide you with a list of terms that occur in the source text, for which they want translations. Another option is to say "all words or phrases in the source text that occur more than once" must go into the glossary. In both these cases I can do it very, very easily (using PlusTools' Extract feature and Wordfast's glossary features).

But if the terms they want, are not included in the source text, or if it will take you a fair amount of time extra to create the glossary, then they should pay for it.

Say, how long is a medium-sized translation? 20 000 words?

thank you Samuel. It is 30 000 words.

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Should be paid on an hourly basis Nov 27, 2007

I have had several such experiences. On software translations, I have offered, several times, to create a glossary... and have eventually been offered a compensation (on an hourly basis) by the agencies.
On the other hand, once, after accepting the PO I got some instructions concerning the translation, including the constitution a glossary, which required to search the Internet, copy all the URLs as references... and they were asking for a lot of words, without paying anything for it (jus
... See more
I have had several such experiences. On software translations, I have offered, several times, to create a glossary... and have eventually been offered a compensation (on an hourly basis) by the agencies.
On the other hand, once, after accepting the PO I got some instructions concerning the translation, including the constitution a glossary, which required to search the Internet, copy all the URLs as references... and they were asking for a lot of words, without paying anything for it (just the regular translation). I complained to the agency, which told me that they didn't negociate that with their customer. They allowed me two hours... and I told them that I would only do a part of the work (I worked 4-5 hours... would have needed 10). I did it because I accepted the PO but advised them firmly never to play me such a trick again.
Conclusion: only bad agencies may consider that building a glossary is free. If you do it, record precisely the time spent. If they have "sold" a glossary to their customer, they should compensate you for that. And if they haven't... just deliver a translation (and possibly a small glossary at the END of the translation)!
Collapse

Oleg Rudavin
Oleg Rudavin  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
In support Nov 27, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:

I would add, they want you to do some work - and any work whould be paid for.

One option is that they provide you with a list of terms that occur in the source text, for which they want translations. Another option is to say "all words or phrases in the source text that occur more than once" must go into the glossary.

Basically, it's a very sensible approach. It's the end client (not the agency that is an outsourcer!) who would know best what terms are to be included into the glossary. Elena, ask them to send you a list of words to include into the glossary and your task will become much easier!

Cheers,
Oleg

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating a glossary - how to charge

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »