Mobile menu

What price translation memories?
Thread poster: Steve Pryce

Steve Pryce
Local time: 23:02
German to English
+ ...
Nov 27, 2007

As of next week I will no longer be working as a freelance translator and would therefore like to sell my translation memories to my respective customers. What is a reasonable price for a Trados translation memory (10,000-20,000 translation units)? I would be grateful for any guidance, have already looked elsewhere on the website.

Direct link Reply with quote

Oleg Rudavin  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 00:02
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
A new product on the parket Nov 27, 2007

Thus requiring a new price.

Try to determine it

Cheers,
Oleg

RobinB  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
It's an established market... Nov 27, 2007

... albeit not exactly huge, I think. Maybe this website can give you a better idea, or at least you could ask them for advice:

http://www.tmmarketplace.com/

The market for terminology is more mature. Back in the mid-1990s when we were involved in running the EU POINTER project, we estimated the price of a term pair (non-exclusive basis) in an interchangeable electronic format, including 5 or 6 attributes (context, sources, gramcats, examples, etc.) at around 3 to 4 ecus. I know that high-quality termbases have sold for around that price (EUR 4 per term pair), but I really have no idea what the going rate is for the sort of proprietary TMs you're talking about.

Paul Adie  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Selling TMs? Nov 27, 2007

I would just give them the TMs, it is their material, and you have no use for them. Indeed, they'll probably just go in the bin. When I worked as a project manager, if a client asked for a TM, we gave them, free of charge. Money just didn't come into it. Let us know what happens, and good luck for your future career!

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:02
French to English
+ ...
Bear in mind... Nov 27, 2007

bear in mind that your customers can generate a TM from your translations if they so wish, using the Align function. They may consider it worth paying for your TMs, though, if you offer to sell them for less than the price of the time they would take to align all your texts.

Nizamettin Yigit  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Turkish
+ ...
it depends Nov 28, 2007

Hi,

I share the idea that it is relatively new product.
I think it depends on your field of profession in the translation.

Technical manuals and software localisation or key word translations could be useful for another translator who is acting in the same field.

But for an article, or brochures of business it may not be so productive for the ones who buy.

I plan to produce TM of my past translat'ons via Align. This way I could produce more than a million TM. But it is just a plan For sure it will cost some time.

It needs to be clarified that Steve is trying to sell it to another translator or anybody who may wish. My understanding this TM 's not from the translation(s) of a particular client.

All leftovers/remaining residues etc can be recycled. The same way TMs are left over of the translation If he is successful in selling his 20000 unit TM, Steve Pryce will be recycling the left overs of his translation activity.

I wish you luck in selling!
Regards,

Nizam

Steve Pryce
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 28, 2007

Thank you all very much for your feedback, and for the good wishes! I found your comments very helpful.

For reasons of client confidentiality, I am only selling the TMs to the customers who commissioned the original work. Many of my customers do not require the use of translation software. I therefore feel that, by providing the TMs, I am now offering them an extra service in addition to the original translation. How much they are willing to pay is very much a matter of negotiation, particularly as my scruples about confidentiality mean that there is only one potential customer for each TM.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What price translation memories?

Advanced search

Translation news

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs