Mobile menu

How to charge HTML markups
Thread poster: langues12
langues12
English to French
Dec 3, 2007

Hi there,

I would like to know the practice in terms of word count for HTML markups.
I have a big project with lots of HTML markup at the moment. Do translators usually charge for those as repetions? If so, what is the usual rate?

Your help would be very much appreciate

Thanks

Margarita

Direct link Reply with quote

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 05:20
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
CAT Tools Dec 3, 2007

langues12 wrote:

Hi there,

I would like to know the practice in terms of word count for HTML markups.
I have a big project with lots of HTML markup at the moment. Do translators usually charge for those as repetions? If so, what is the usual rate?

Your help would be very much appreciate

Thanks

Margarita

These are usually analyzed by means of CAT software (Trados, SDLX, other) and the word count is the basis for billing. Your client, if they use any CAT tools, should be able to explain the details to you.

HTH

Piotr

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:20
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
XML markup usually not counted Dec 3, 2007

langues12 wrote:

I think the usual practice is not to count for stuff in the source code, and to base the word count on the visible text only. I suspect this is because most translators doing this sort of work use programs that help them navigate the sea of tags as easily as if they weren't there.

That said, there's nothing to prevent you from charging for tags. One way to count tags may be to count the number of "greater-than" signs ( > ). If you don't want to count every tags as one word, why not count two tags as one word, or three tags as one word?

[Edited at 2007-12-03 19:13]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge HTML markups

Advanced search

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs