Thread poster: Salome Tkhelia

Salome Tkhelia
Georgia
Local time: 21:07
English to Georgian
+ ...
Dec 7, 2007

Dear Professionals,

Need an advice. Situation: Did a very small translation job in August, 2007 and previously agreed with Ms. A to be paid by Moneybookers until Sept. 2007. (“...We are offering £15, payment through moneybookers. The delivery will be the 2nd of September”)

After two reminding letters I was finally contacted by Mr. B yesterday who said: "... The payment of £15 is due to you. (I do not really understand this sentence) We incur a charge of £20 each time we send money abroad (OK, that's understandable, but is it true?) and I was wondering if it would be ok with you to wait until you have done a couple of other jobs for the sum to accumulate (is it something common?).... It is impossible for us to use Mooneybookers or Paypal as it is now against company policy." (the company HQ is based in UK).

The cost for sending money via Moneybookers it is 1%.

I’m quite confused, because this is the first case I,m treated like that. Maybe they are right, and I do not understand something? Would you please to advise me what to do?

Many thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Lu Wang
Local time: 01:07
Chinese to English
+ ...
Pursuit Dec 7, 2007

You may remind them of the fact that only one percent is incurred and even offer to have 0.15 deducted from the sum, just to see their reaction. Maybe they would pay after you argue and insist and hint and threaten.

[Edited at 2007-12-07 15:09]

Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:07
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Balance Dec 7, 2007

Hi Salome,

Salome Tkhelia wrote:
The payment of £15 is due to you. (I do not really understand this sentence)

That means you should have been paid already.

As for the rest of the message, I often wait untill I have accumulated a reseonable amount of work worth before I invoice a client, sometimes to avoid bank/transfer/deduction charges, but not always - some of my clients remind me to invoice them, despite the low amount involved, and they don't charge me anything for processing the payment.

That may not always be the case, however, (which is really annoying), but definetelly should NOT be the case in the instance you refer, if your client has not advised you before contracting to do the job, that you'd subject to "payment expenses".

I guess you'll have to decide if it's worth for you pushing the client to pay you now those £15, and probably losing the client, or if you trust the client to send you some more work, and to pay you for that in the future.

I believe that financially, you can't get much profit from those £15 now, as even if you manage to "force" the client to pay now, they probably will deduct some money out of that in order to cover their expenses.

How would you envisage receiving a check for that amount? How much of it would your bank "deduct" for expenses?

Good luck,
Jose

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
The contract stated that they'd pay you by Moneybookers Dec 7, 2007

Jose Ruivo wrote:

...they probably will deduct some money out of that in order to cover their expenses.

The client has no legal right to deduct expenses unless this has previously been agreed. Furthermore, the client had contracted/outsourced the assignment stating that payment would be made via Moneybookers. In my view, that clearly forms part of the contract (Lawyer-Linguist, if you read this thread,please correct me if I'm wrong).

...I often wait untill I have accumulated a reseonable amount of work worth before I invoice a client, sometimes to avoid bank/transfer/deduction charges, but not always..

This appears to be a new client. I would never accumulate invoices for an unknown entity. For a long standing client who always (or almost always) follows good payment practices, however, this is an option.

[Edited at 2007-12-07 22:57]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 18:07
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
hound dogs one needs to carry to the hunt Dec 7, 2007

it sounds better in German:"man muß diese Hunde zu Jagd tragen"

"it is impossible for us to use Mooneybookers or Paypal as it is now against company policy".

I'll be d*ned... How come they dare to deal in Georgian-English language pair!? Isnt that against the company policy as well!? Is it not ... much wilder and out of their fish-and-chips routine - compared to using the services of a UK-based company to pay 15 quid?!

It is just simple laziness, I would assume - they get some strange order and pass it on and then the invoicing just gets screwed up by all those calls to use paypal, moneybookers,internet... "Internet!?, humbug ... what's wrong with using just the good ol' fax machine..."

Dear Salome, from my experience this is a so-called three-sigma event. It will cost you 15 pounds maximum, its a cheap learning fee - this is my best explanation/reason so far for this kind of snafus. And I do not let it happen again- because then, it is an excuse.

Whats the lesson?
i) there's cheapos - and there's other kind of agencies
ii) finding a modus vivendi with this agency may turn into a long-term relationship - 15 quid may end in 150 pounds a month
iii) think max and min: the maximum you can lose here, is 15 pounds, Plus a questionable client (see ii). The maximum? 15 quid paid plus the freedom to look for other agents - the freedom which you have anyhow.

[Urejeno ob 2007-12-07 21:03]

The Misha
Local time: 12:07
Russian to English
+ ...
Their argumwnts are beyond the point Dec 8, 2007

They contracted the job out and set the terms. Whatever their line of reasoning, it's their problem now, not yours, and they are legally bound to deliver. If I were you, I'd mess with them for sure, just for the heck of it. It's not about 15 bucks, it's about them being schmucks. Personally, I hate schmucks and so should you. I don't think you really want to keep them as clients either.

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
De minimis non curat lex Dec 8, 2007

Yes, you're all right about those being the terms of the contract. And no, in law, they can't unilaterally change the terms afterwards.

But that's the law and it's often a far cry away from how things pan out in practice, especially when it's what the law considers a "trivial matter".

Yes, principles matter, but so does your sanity. It is, and remains, £ 15.00 for goodness sake. Remember the time and effort you're being urged here to spend on these "schmucks" is also unpaid. And that time and effort is money you'll never see.

In fact, you should be grateful - they've shown their true colours and your exposure is only £15.00.

They aren't very likely to have an enormous demand for your language pair anytime soon, so - unless you've got evidence to the contrary about that - tell them you want your payment, which they concede is due, in the manner it was agreed (Moneybookers) and that you aren't subject to changes in payment policies or methods that took subsequent effect.

What will the excuse be next time? It's contrary to company policy to pay if the sun ain't shining?

Don't waste your time and energy trying to find out by taking on future jobs. Agencies that don't answer emails with payment queries are schmucks, period, never mind the rest of their antics.

Just warn fellow translators on BB - even you do get paid - that will cost them more than £15.00 in the long run.

[Edited at 2007-12-08 12:13]

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:07
English to Russian
+ ...
imho Dec 8, 2007

you could send them confirmation of your agreement to wait for next jobs with small amendment that you start charging interest on the amount due.
The reason why? Not charging interest is against your business practices and obviously that agency policies too. :0)

[Edited at 2007-12-08 11:27]

MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 19:07
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
simple Dec 10, 2007

Salome Tkhelia wrote:

Dear Professionals,

Need an advice. Situation: Did a very small translation job in August, 2007 and previously agreed with Ms. A to be paid by Moneybookers until Sept. 2007. (“...We are offering £15, payment through moneybookers. The delivery will be the 2nd of September”)

After two reminding letters I was finally contacted by Mr. B yesterday who said: "... The payment of £15 is due to you. (I do not really understand this sentence) We incur a charge of £20 each time we send money abroad (OK, that's understandable, but is it true?) and I was wondering if it would be ok with you to wait until you have done a couple of other jobs for the sum to accumulate (is it something common?).... It is impossible for us to use Mooneybookers or Paypal as it is now against company policy." (the company HQ is based in UK).

The cost for sending money via Moneybookers it is 1%.

I’m quite confused, because this is the first case I,m treated like that. Maybe they are right, and I do not understand something? Would you please to advise me what to do?

Many thanks in advance.

You had an agreement. You did your obligation (did your job) and now they have to settle as agreed - the agreed amount to be paid via moneybookers. And none of their policies do not matter. As for further jobs (to accumulate a bigger amount) - well, why not, but that should have been agreed before the job, not after the due payment date. If they cannot pay you 15 GBP, will they be able to pay you for your furthher jobs (who can know - maybe their "policy" will change again)...???

Salome Tkhelia
Georgia
Local time: 21:07
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Dec 26, 2007

Thank you all for your kind replies. Marry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Wish you all much success and happiness in the year 2008 and for all of your life

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment Prob - not paying by Moneybookers

Advanced search

Translation news

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs