Mobile menu

MultiTerm Conversion rate?
Thread poster: Sumana U

Sumana U
German to English
+ ...
Dec 18, 2007

Hi,

One of my client offered to me the task of doing the MultiTerm Conversion. They asked about my rate for that particular task.

The problem is, I don't know the basis on which people rate this task. Because there can be many decisive factors.

Could anyone please suggest me in this regard.

Thank you

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:03
English to French
+ ...
Hourly rate Dec 18, 2007

Any task that cannot be precisely estimated should be charged hourly, for obvious reasons.

To figure out your hourly rate for all services (an hour of your time is an hour of your time), take your per source word rate, multiply it by your hourly output and round it.

Your client may be asking you to estimate how many hours you will need. If they really want this to be agreed before you take on the job, and this cannot change later, I advise you charge the number of hours you think it will take based on the initial information you have, and then add a good 25% to that to cover any calculation errors and moments where you will be slower because of difficulties in your text that you could not have foreseen (I will not get caught in this ever again).

All the best!

Sumana U
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hourly rate + conveyance? Dec 19, 2007

Thank you 'Viktoria Gimbe' for the very required suggestion

I do agree with you, but my client wants me to come over to their place and perform the task. They are also not specifying the size of the file even after asking.

Of course, there could be some error in the file itself or could occur during the conversion process. It is quite possible that the file is lacking in formatting quality.

If you can add some more suggestions, then I would like to read it.

Thank you

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:03
English to French
+ ...
Things to tell the client Dec 20, 2007

I am guessing the client is aware that this kind of work is hard to estimate without having the file to look at, and even if you had the file, if it is more than a dozen "pages" in size, then you can't really read it in its entirety to make an estimation. However, you should not assume that your client is aware of this, or that he attaches much importance to this. Therefore, you need to draw a line between what you can promise and what you can't promise because there are missing elements you would need to base your estimation on.

If you would be doing the work on the client's premises, the good thing is that the client would know exactly how long you worked and there wouldn't be a trust issue (sadly, some people who charge by the hour have a tendency to charge for a little more hours than they actually worked, because the client doesn't see them and so can't tell how long the translator actually worked). This also makes it easier for quoting - you don't have to tell them in advance how long it will take, it is sufficient to tell them how long you expect it will take based on what you know (not taking into account the factors that you don't know yet, like formatting issues and such) and then, once the work is done, you would charge them the actual number of hours worked.

If I had to commute to a remote location, then I would also charge for the commute time, or if they are not open to that, raise my hourly rate accordingly. The time you spend in transport could be spent working instead, so you have to be compensated for that. Of course, if the client's location is only a few bus stops away, I wouldn't bother charging for the transit time.

In any case, I would ask the client again about the file size, stressing that you need to know this in advance so you don't mismanage your time. Being a freelancer, your client needs to understand that you also work for other people, not necessarily at the same time, but you may get an offer for a project in a few weeks which you might accept, thinking you will be done by then with this client, and if you cannot evaluate the time it will take to finish this contract and it takes more time, then you would be in trouble with your other client, something that would be rather unprofessional and that could potentially cause the loss of your other client.

Please, do ask more questions if you still have some. I'll check this thread in a while.

[Edited at 2007-12-20 18:05]

Sumana U
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU Dec 24, 2007

Thank you 'Viktoria Gimbe' for detailed information

I asked my client about the file size (not once). My client just gave the reason of lack of time to see all that and provide the asked information. So, I am bit careful about taking up this task.

Thank you

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm Conversion rate?

Advanced search

Translation news

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs