Mobile menu

Off topic: Thought I've seen it all... (job worth USD 6.00)
Thread poster: ViktoriaG

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:17
English to French
+ ...
Dec 18, 2007

Job posted today on the job board.

120 words
at 0.050 USD per word [ TOTAL: 6.00 USD ]
Payment method: Online via Paypal

WHAT?

Who quotes on stuff like this, may I ask?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-12-18 09:37]

Direct link Reply with quote

Capesha  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:17
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
But TRADOS is not a must? Dec 18, 2007

no comment - can't believe such things.

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
is that gross or net? Dec 18, 2007

Let's look at this so:

120 words is about 1/3 of a page.
If the text is easy, that will take me 15 minutes, including MS Word spellcheck.

That makes 24 bucks an hour, which is quite decent in my part of the world...

And if I use Google Translate, it's free money!

Merry Christmas!
Pawel Skalinski

Niraja Nanjundan  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:47
German to English
It wouldn't surprise me.... Dec 18, 2007

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

Who quotes on stuff like this, may I ask?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-12-18 09:37]

.....if this job gets quite a few quotes. This site now apparently has more than 200,000 users, most of them registered here to get more jobs. If nothing else, jobs like these probably receive quotes from people trying to build up a clientbase.

Doreen Schoon-Hammermann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
the better it gets Dec 18, 2007

Job-Beschreibung:

We need for PC-Game a translation of the texts and one female voiceover to record that text in a professional studio.
Format des Ausgangstextes: Microsoft Word

Auftragsvolumen und Preis:

124 words
at 0.060 EUR per word [ GESAMT: 7.44 EUR ]
Zahlungsweise: Banküberweisung
Payment 30 days after date of invoice.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Extra publicity Dec 18, 2007

Hi Doreen,
Doreen Schoon wrote:

Job-Beschreibung:

Well, you just gave that job extra publicity...

Best regards,
Ralf

Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A little bit of thinking... Dec 18, 2007

Have you noticed how, lately, there has been a steep increase in the number of new users who speak the language they translate into so badly that I sometimes wonder if they used Google translate to post in this forum? Well, I have, and the insulting thing about this is that these people are asking for advice on "how to become a translator". To me, it is clear they are simply looking for extra money the easy way. Actually, one of these new users recently said this explicitly - and lots of established freelancers came to her rescue, of which not one said "excuse me, but you can't just become a translator by opening a profile here". I wonder if these people are not by any chance the clientele of such job offers. Too bad - they will work for peanuts thinking that's what it's worth, not thinking for one second that they only actually get to keep about half of that money, and mind you, they also consider this employment, not business, so good luck for negotiation and sound rates. If people keep having this attitude about freelancing, there will be more such jobs posted here, and more people will be tricked into believing that these conditions are the standard.

On a side note, I looked at some new user profiles (specifically those I suspect are out looking for a quick buck) and I noticed two things: their profile is not filled in at all - all there is is their language combination and about 30 "specializations" that have nothing to do with each other, one of the popular ones being legal (!). The other thing is that they enter only one native language, so it automatically appears in yellow, blue and red as verified. I have been doing this for six years full time, I have two native languages and both are grey, meaning that nobody knows if what I say about my native languages is true. This is a little bit insulting, because I actually have less credibility than newcomers who may just be using Google translate.

So, my guess is that such jobs are here to stay as long as people get into this business thinking they will make a quick buck (after all, "it only takes a computer and an internet connection" - work from home, make money, be your own boss, said the advert), thinking they are employees and thinking that five cents per word is the standard. I hate to admit it, but if there are such job offers, that means there is a market for them. So, let's not blame that outsourcer so quickly - maybe the community of freelancers has something to do with this, or even a lot.

There, I got it off my chest. Lots of thoughts to ponder...

[Edited at 2007-12-18 17:19]

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Hear, hear. Dec 18, 2007

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:
I hate to admit it, but if there are such job offers, that means there is a market for them. So, let's not blame that outsourcer so quickly - maybe the community of freelancers has something to do with this, or even a lot.

I hate to say it but others have mentioned this over and over again on this site. It's interesting to see that this seems to be news to you.

Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
News, yes, but not to me Dec 18, 2007

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:
It's interesting to see that this seems to be news to you.

This is nothing new to me. I am just trying to get some people thinking. Too many freelancers consider themselves employees and let the client dictate the conditions of contracts, not just the rate but other conditions as well. It is no surprise then that such job posts exist. I am merely trying to help some people take conscience of this.

[Edited at 2007-12-18 18:26]

xxxIreneN
United States
Local time: 12:17
English to Russian
+ ...
Another charming ad Dec 19, 2007

Coming from Proz member:

***In drawing your quote, please take into account that it will be continuous work, so adjust your rates accordingly***

Do I understand correctly that one should double the rates because in the ad they also require full committment and availability for emergency response.

Political correctness must be profitable. It attracts the electorate whatever it might be. What a mockery...

[Edited at 2007-12-19 14:40]

Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hilarious! Dec 19, 2007

IreneN wrote:

will be continuous work, so adjust your rates accordingly.
[/quote]

Indeed, Irene, I would base my offer on your interpretation. Maybe they would get the message...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thought I've seen it all... (job worth USD 6.00)

Advanced search

Translation news

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs