Mobile menu

Would you rather get paid in USD or JPY?
Thread poster: Alessandro Cattelan
Alessandro Cattelan
Local time: 17:30
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 10, 2008

in the next few weeks I should be starting to work as a freelancer for a multinational company which asked me if I'd rather get paid in USD or JPY. No EUR unfortunately...
What would you rather do? Is the Japanese Yen stable enough?

Direct link Reply with quote
United States
Local time: 17:30
Italian to English
+ ...
Stable enough Jan 10, 2008

The dollar is at all-time lows vs the EUR, while its all-time low against the JPY was 88 in 1995.

The US may be headed for a recession while Japan may maintain its slow pace of growth if the Asian economies hold their own.

The recent trading range is around 123-109. It is currently around 109, which may be a bit toppish. On balance, I don't see the USD/JPY jumping out of this range in the foreseeable future, unless the Japanese economy booms (unlikely).

The question for you is, what does the EUR do against either or both.

If financial conditions in the US deteriorate further, there could be further USD slide, while the chances for a significant turnaround in the foreseeable future (two years?) are slim.

On balance, probably more risks with the USD than the JPY, but who knows? Speculation can spoil any fundamental analysis.

Another important question for you is transaction costs. Check with both your payer and your bank. Assuming there will be no big one-way movements in USD/JPY vs EUR, transaction costs could make the difference.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2008-01-10 16:49]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Would you rather get paid in USD or JPY?

Advanced search

Translation news

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs