Thread poster: Przemyslaw Podmostko

Przemyslaw Podmostko  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:53
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 12, 2008

HI!

Just wanted to ask how is it with registering as a self-employed translator in the UK? I have a day job, and I want to translate around that for the time being. Do I have to register as a self-employed straight away (because of my main job salary), or wait until my income from translating per annum will exceed certain level? Call me stupid but it's better to ask than assume I know

Thanks in advance
Przemek

Direct link Reply with quote

tom_michell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Call HMRC Jan 12, 2008

You just have to call up HMRC and tell them you want to register as a sole trader. They talk you through it and the whole process takes about 5 minutes. You have to pay a few pounds a month in National Insurance and I think (not sure on this) you have to inform HMRC that you are self-employed within 3 months of your first invoice.

Good luck

Tom

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
Italian to English
It's all here Jan 12, 2008

Hi Przemyslaw

You need to see these pages:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employment-status/index.htm#2
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/selfemp.htm

If it isn't clear, telephone the Inland Revenue; I have always found them very helpful and fair.

Russell

United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jan 13, 2008

I appreciate that, thank you very much gentlemen!

rchan
Chinese to English
+ ...
Extra payment of tax is not always required Jan 13, 2008

If you already are an employee paying tax, it is not always necessary to pay additional tax for self-employment. It depends on whether the tax you already pay as an employee is enough to cover your earnings from self-employment.

However, as suggested above, you must report to HMCR that you have started to have self-employment income. The officer will tell you what applies in your particular circumstance.

Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 15:53
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Small Earnings Exemption Certificate Jan 13, 2008

rchan wrote:
If you already are an employee paying tax, it is not always necessary to pay additional tax for self-employment. It depends on whether the tax you already pay as an employee is enough to cover your earnings from self-employment.

If you are earning less than around £6000 (I don't have the exact figure to hand now) per tax year from your self-employment, whether you have any other income from employment or not, you can apply for a small earnings exemption certificate which means you will not have to pay NI taxes. You can, however, make voluntary NI contributions even if you earn less than the threshold amount. Currently I think they are as little as £2.50 per week.

You should find all the details in the links someone else has provided below.

United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's very useful! Jan 13, 2008

Thank you, will do that soon

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Self-employed in the UK

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs