Dimitra Karamperi
Dimitra Karamperi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 08:51
English to Greek
+ ...
Jan 14, 2008

Hello everybody,

I have received the message below from PayPal.

We are sending you this notice because you have received more than 1,000.00 EUR in total payments to your PayPal account.

PayPal is required by law to comply with European Union Anti-Money Laundering regulations to collect information from customers when they receive more than the set limit in total payments. Please log into your account, go to the Account Overview page
... See more
Hello everybody,

I have received the message below from PayPal.

We are sending you this notice because you have received more than 1,000.00 EUR in total payments to your PayPal account.

PayPal is required by law to comply with European Union Anti-Money Laundering regulations to collect information from customers when they receive more than the set limit in total payments. Please log into your account, go to the Account Overview page, and follow the instructions there about how to provide the required information. These steps need to be completed as soon as possible to comply with this regulation.

If you have any trouble completing these steps, please contact Customer Service at 00 353 1 436 9111

We appreciate your business and apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

PayPal Account Review Department

I have checked it, this is not a spam/phising message. I logged into my account and PayPal is asking me for these documents:
- Valid photo ID
Passport
Driver's License
National Identity Card
- Proof of address
Utility Bill

I have a Business type account and have provided a credit card.
I don't feel confortable providing my ID or passport+photo. Have you faced this kind of request and what do you think about this? I am thinking of ignoring PayPal and not bother with them again, and of course not accept any more payments through it. After all, I use it only for 1-2 not so regular Asian clients and I am sure I will find another way to get paid by them. What would you do in my place?
Thank you in advance.
Dimitra
Collapse

Nixie Adams, M.A.
Nixie Adams, M.A.
Australia
Local time: 16:51
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
same issue Jan 14, 2008

Hello Dimitra,

I had exactly the same issue and the same message just a few days ago.

However, all that was requested from me was that I agree to (once again) have a small amount deducted from my registered credit card and then enter the number that showed on my statement for this transaction in my Paypal account, which I did and my account was enabled again right away.

I was not asked for copies of my ID or similar, and I also have a business account.
... See more
Hello Dimitra,

I had exactly the same issue and the same message just a few days ago.

However, all that was requested from me was that I agree to (once again) have a small amount deducted from my registered credit card and then enter the number that showed on my statement for this transaction in my Paypal account, which I did and my account was enabled again right away.

I was not asked for copies of my ID or similar, and I also have a business account.

Did you already have a verified account? If you didn't, perhaps that might explain the request.

I would go ahead with it, at least if you want to access your money at some stage.

Nicole
Collapse

Dimitra Karamperi
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have a verified account - Less than 10 Euro in my account Jan 14, 2008

Hi Nicole,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have a verified account but less than 10 Euro in my account, that's why I am thinking of not bothering with Paypal again

Dimitra

Mayte Vega
Mayte Vega  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
little advice Jan 14, 2008

Hi Dimitra,

Someone told me that PayPal should start their letters to clients by saying:

Dear Miss Dimitra Karmperi:

They have your full name and sex details.

When the letter starts:

Dear member / Dear valued member

It's somewhat suspicious.

You may contact the helpdesk, I've asked them some issues and they've responded them swiftly.

Hope this helps you.

Mayte

Elisabete Cunha
Elisabete Cunha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:51
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I was also asked to do that Jan 14, 2008

There are 2 limits: one for the money you receive and the other for the money you withdraw.
When you add a credit card, you can receive money without limitations.
But unless you provide the documents they refer, you will have a withdrawal limit.

In my case, I have added the credit card and provided the documents. I contacted the support center and they were very helpful and explained the reason why they ask for this documentation, so there is nothing to be afraid of.

Elisabete Cunha
Elisabete Cunha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Another thing Jan 14, 2008

Please remember that if you choose not to send the documents and you receive a payment from a client, you won't be able to withdraw it until your account is reactivated, that is, after sending the documents. That was my case. I had a great sum that was retained until the problem was solved.

[Edited at 2008-01-14 17:45]

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Standard security measures Jan 14, 2008

I don't use PayPal, but in my "day job" I work for a financial service company.

When clients open an account we ask for proof of identification (copy of passport, ID card, etc.) and proof of address (usually copies of utility bills).

This is for our (money laundering charges) and our clients' protection.

Imaging that somebody gets hold of your credit card number and other info. They open an account and fund it using your card. When it comes time for them
... See more
I don't use PayPal, but in my "day job" I work for a financial service company.

When clients open an account we ask for proof of identification (copy of passport, ID card, etc.) and proof of address (usually copies of utility bills).

This is for our (money laundering charges) and our clients' protection.

Imaging that somebody gets hold of your credit card number and other info. They open an account and fund it using your card. When it comes time for them to withdraw money, they ask for money to be sent to a bank account or by other means.

In that case, we would check that the bank account was in the same name and possibly ask for further identification.

Obviously, I would only supply this kind of documentation to a company/site that I trust.

Finally, what would make me trust the email you got, was the fact that they didn't ask you to click a link. Very un-phishy.

Madeleine
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 13:51
English to Thai
+ ...
Phishing mail? Jan 15, 2008

How can you check that it is not a phishing mail?
I got the one and finally found out as a type of spam.
I reported to PayPal helpdesk directly.

Regards,
Soonthon L.

Tiến Anh Lê
Tiến Anh Lê  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 13:51
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
It is a flat world Jan 15, 2008

Mayte Vega wrote:

Hi Dimitra,

Someone told me that PayPal should start their letters to clients by saying:

Dear Miss Dimitra Karmperi:

They have your full name and sex details.

When the letter starts:

Dear member / Dear valued member

It's somewhat suspicious.

You may contact the helpdesk, I've asked them some issues and they've responded them swiftly.

Hope this helps you.

Mayte

I understand your standard thought. However, in a world full of freelancers and outsourcers like this, it may happen sometime.
I think, Dimitra should just log into your account(be sure that "https" is on the address bar) and do as told and see.
All the best.

[Edited at 2008-01-15 02:30]

Dimitra Karamperi
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your replies Jan 15, 2008

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:
How can you check that it is not a phishing mail?
I got the one and finally found out as a type of spam.
I reported to PayPal helpdesk directly.
Regards,
Soonthon L.

Dear Mayte + Soonthon,
Thank you for your replies and your points. However, what concerns me here is not whether this is a true or a phising e-mail. I have logged into my account, directly from my browser (after all, as Madeleine comments, there is no "phising" link provided within the e-mail) and have also checked the "https" and the padlock icon, as Smiles points out. My concern is whether should I trust or not Paypal, so as to send them a copy of my ID or password.

Dear Madeleine: Thank you for your comments. I have also worked in a bank for 7 years before starting as a full-time freelancer so I really know what are you talking about

Dear Elisabete: Your advice is valuable since you have already done this procedure. Thank you for replying!

I think I will proceed as well with their identification process.
Thanks again all of you & have a great day,
Dimitra

[Edited at 2008-01-15 09:54]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paypal problem: Should I sent copy of my ID+Utility bill

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »