Mobile menu

Formal pre- (contract) and post-assignment (invoice) issues.
Thread poster: Przemyslaw Podmostko

Przemyslaw Podmostko  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:04
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 17, 2008

I just wanted to ask two questions:

1) Do you send a contract to a client in order to have a ground for invoicing him after the job?
2) Do you send an invoice after the job, as formal finalisation of the assignment and the basis for payment request? If so, how do you write thos invoices? (blank forms, software?)

These are noob questions, but did I know, I wouldn't ask

Thank you very much in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:04
French to English
invoice Jan 17, 2008

An invoice can be quite simple, in word or even better in excel. You can create a blank template and just use that basic document each time, filling in the project details.

You'll need mention your address and business registration number (or whatever is applicable in your country), ditto for the customer, the purchase order number, word count, rate and the total amount. Be sure to state the currency and terms of payment. Don't forget your bank details. You might want to state what penalties will be applied in case of late payment. You may need to include VAT, if you are registered, this also depends on the location of the client.

I usually send an invoice once a month to established customers who send me regular work. For other customers, I send the invoice a few days after delivery - I always leave some down time in case they come back with queries.

I have been thinking about getting TO3000 software as my business is growing and invoicing/keeping track of payments and projects is starting to take too much of my time. But it's not essential to purchase any particular software to get started.

[Edited at 2008-01-17 21:07]

Przemyslaw Podmostko  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:04
English to Polish
+ ...
Thank you! :) Jan 17, 2008

What about something contract-like before getting down to translating? Something that would prevent a situation like this:

- Hi! This is the invoice for the job done.
- Job? What job?

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:04
Partial member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
PO Jan 18, 2008

I ususally collect purchase order (PO) for the jobs as the supporting background for invoicing.
I use MS Excel template for invoice as my translation invoice by filling with necessary entries.

Soonthon L.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Formal pre- (contract) and post-assignment (invoice) issues.

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs