Juliana Brown
Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 22:47
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 18, 2008

So...a new client (a law firm) approached me for a small job and let me name my price, which is always nice. I, of course, stated my rate, turnaround time, and payment method (Paypal) right away in our communication. She agreed to everything, and sent me a "work order", which is the firm's standard PO method.
The work is done, invoice sent, the client is happy and now, this person at the firm has sent me an e-mail stating "I just saw on Paypal that I would have to pay you using my boss' cr
... See more
So...a new client (a law firm) approached me for a small job and let me name my price, which is always nice. I, of course, stated my rate, turnaround time, and payment method (Paypal) right away in our communication. She agreed to everything, and sent me a "work order", which is the firm's standard PO method.
The work is done, invoice sent, the client is happy and now, this person at the firm has sent me an e-mail stating "I just saw on Paypal that I would have to pay you using my boss' credit card, which I am not comfortable doing. Can I send you a cheque?"
Here is the problem, apart from the fact she obviously does not understand that she has already officially agreed to pay me using my method of choice: She's in the States. I'm in Toronto. If I have to take a cheque to the bank here, I'm paying fees, not to mention exchange, unlike Paypal where my account is in US$.
What should I tell her?
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 20:47
Dutch to English
+ ...
Money order? Jan 18, 2008

The fact that she had agreed to a payment method does not seem too big a deal to me. Obviously she simply didn't know what is involved in paying via Paypal - you can forgive her that.

I don't think you have to pay fees if she sends you a money order rather than a cheque. She has to pay the money order fee at her end.

Juliana Brown
Israel
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hmmm. I hadn't thought of the money order. Jan 18, 2008

Thanks. I think you're right about no fees for that at my end (apart from the exchange).
I'm still a bit surprised that she would agree to Paypal, if she hasn't used it before, without checking the conditions before saying ok.

peiling
peiling  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:47
Chinese to English
+ ...
Paypal Jan 18, 2008

I don't think payment with credit card is a must, Paypal can be funded with a bank account. Maybe look under "More funding options" when making payment.

Juliana Brown
Israel
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's been settled :) Jan 18, 2008

The person in question has offered to drag her boss (and the firm as a whole) kicking and screaming into the present and has sent a very polite note apologizing and saying they are going to set up an account so they can pay their translators through Paypal now. I feel like a pioneer now.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Congratulations! Jan 19, 2008

Juliana Starkman wrote:

I feel like a pioneer now.

Good for you, Juliana!

Milton Guo
Milton Guo  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 10:47
English to Chinese
+ ...
Good for you Jan 21, 2008

She turned out to be a good client, good for you

Regarding invoice, i am wondering how you send one in electronic format? I am new here, so please give me a tip when you are free...thanks.

Renée van Bijsterveld
Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:47
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
create PDF's Jan 21, 2008

To Milton Guo: create a PDF from your invoices and send them as an attachment. There are several possibilities to create a PDF.

[Edited at 2008-01-21 12:57]

Milton Guo
Milton Guo  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 10:47
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thank you, ReneevB Jan 22, 2008

ReneevB wrote:

To Milton Guo: create a PDF from your invoices and send them as an attachment. There are several possibilities to create a PDF.

[Edited at 2008-01-21 12:57]

Thanks a million!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agreed on payment method- client changes mind

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »