Mobile menu

Need to send small payment from UK to USA
Thread poster: Armorel Young

Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:02
Member (2004)
German to English
Jan 24, 2008

I have never outsourced any work before but a client wants to have a translation of mine (in BE) localised into American English and I have said that I will arrange for this to be done. The job is quite small so I wouldn't expect to pay more than about 40 dollars for the work. I intend to advertise the job on Proz and is clearly very likely that the taker will be in the US and I shall need to send this small amount to the USA. What is the best way to do this without incurring massive charges? I am happy to use Paypal - but is it reasonable to specify that the person taking the job must use Paypal? Would sending cash be completely unprofessional? Are there any other low-cost avenues I should explore (I am rather assuming that a bank transfer is going to be unreasonably expensive!) Thanks for any ideas.

Direct link Reply with quote

Tammy Creo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Pay Pal Jan 24, 2008

I think Pay Pal is your best option, especially for such small amount of money.

Thijs van Dorssen  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:02
Member (2002)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Moneybookers Jan 24, 2008

or moneybookers dot com ... they are a little cheaper than PayPal.

Best of luck!

English to Arabic
PayPal is the best option in my view Jan 24, 2008

Hi all!

Armorel,yes PayPal is the best option.

I always receive my payments by this way now as they do not exceed $50 USD.

Also,I pay for anything online with PayPal too.

I would also suggest that you always have in your PayPal account a low amount of money n/no money in it at all(personally I limit mine to 20 pounds).So you do not worry about potential online fraud etc.

I hope this helps.

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Moneybookers Jan 25, 2008

Most of my European clients pay me through the Moneybookers web site. It offers slightly lower fees than Paypal, and much lower fees than an international wire transfer.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need to send small payment from UK to USA

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs