Need to send small payment from UK to USA
Thread poster: Armorel Young
Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:39
German to English
Jan 24, 2008

I have never outsourced any work before but a client wants to have a translation of mine (in BE) localised into American English and I have said that I will arrange for this to be done. The job is quite small so I wouldn't expect to pay more than about 40 dollars for the work. I intend to advertise the job on Proz and is clearly very likely that the taker will be in the US and I shall need to send this small amount to the USA. What is the best way to do this without incurring massive charges? I ... See more
I have never outsourced any work before but a client wants to have a translation of mine (in BE) localised into American English and I have said that I will arrange for this to be done. The job is quite small so I wouldn't expect to pay more than about 40 dollars for the work. I intend to advertise the job on Proz and is clearly very likely that the taker will be in the US and I shall need to send this small amount to the USA. What is the best way to do this without incurring massive charges? I am happy to use Paypal - but is it reasonable to specify that the person taking the job must use Paypal? Would sending cash be completely unprofessional? Are there any other low-cost avenues I should explore (I am rather assuming that a bank transfer is going to be unreasonably expensive!) Thanks for any ideas.Collapse

Tammy Creo
Tammy Creo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Pay Pal Jan 24, 2008

I think Pay Pal is your best option, especially for such small amount of money.

Thijs van Dorssen
Thijs van Dorssen  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:39
Member (2002)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Moneybookers Jan 24, 2008

or moneybookers dot com ... they are a little cheaper than PayPal.

Best of luck!

trans_world
trans_world
English to Arabic
PayPal is the best option in my view Jan 24, 2008

Hi all!

Armorel,yes PayPal is the best option.

I always receive my payments by this way now as they do not exceed $50 USD.

Also,I pay for anything online with PayPal too.

I would also suggest that you always have in your PayPal account a low amount of money n/no money in it at all(personally I limit mine to 20 pounds).So you do not worry about potential online fraud etc.

I hope this helps.

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:39
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Moneybookers Jan 25, 2008

Most of my European clients pay me through the Moneybookers web site. It offers slightly lower fees than Paypal, and much lower fees than an international wire transfer.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need to send small payment from UK to USA

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »