Ahmad Suhaili (X)
Local time: 13:16
English to Malay
+ ...
Dataloggers Jan 26, 2008

Eleni Makantani wrote:

A couple of days ago I received the following message:

"Dear New Moneybookers Customer,
To safeguard the integrity of our payment system, please verify this email address by clicking on the link below:
*removed*
Your verification link will only be valid for 24 hours.
Thank you for registering with Moneybookers!"

The thing is, I am not registered with Moneybookers! I don't know if that is some kind of scam, or just spam, but I was surprised to get that message (and did not follow the link, anyway!)

Eleni, the link you got seems to be the bona fide Moneybookers site and not a phishing site. You might want to run your AntiVirus scanner on your pc or through online scan. It's just possible that you have a datalogger trojan on your pc and the email that you received is designed to make you type out your user:pass for MB (or for any other financial site). The trojan would then discreetly send any harvested username and passwords to someone on the net.

Might be nothing but then again..

Narcis Lozano Drago
Narcis Lozano Drago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:16
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not so sure Jan 26, 2008

Ahmad Suhaili wrote:

Eleni Makantani wrote:

A couple of days ago I received the following message:

"Dear New Moneybookers Customer,
To safeguard the integrity of our payment system, please verify this email address by clicking on the link below:
*removed*
Your verification link will only be valid for 24 hours.
Thank you for registering with Moneybookers!"

The thing is, I am not registered with Moneybookers! I don't know if that is some kind of scam, or just spam, but I was surprised to get that message (and did not follow the link, anyway!)

Eleni, the link you got seems to be the bona fide Moneybookers site and not a phishing site. You might want to run your AntiVirus scanner on your pc or through online scan. It's just possible that you have a datalogger trojan on your pc and the email that you received is designed to make you type out your user:pass for MB (or for any other financial site). The trojan would then discreetly send any harvested username and passwords to someone on the net.

I am not so sure that the link Eleni received was from Moneybookers, Ahmad. What she has post here is probably only the text of the link, but it's likely that the page referenced was another, i.e. the page of the scammer. They only need to change the HREF field of the link tag, as in this example:

www.proz.com

Narcis

Natasha Dupuy
Natasha Dupuy  Identity Verified
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Unable to edit post Jan 26, 2008

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi all,
Would all those who posted links they suspect to be phishing-related please remove these links from your forum postings as soon as possible?

Hi Ralf,

I just got in and saw your message. I tried to go in and remove the links, however when I click on "Edit" I get an error message stating that the editing function is disabled 24 hours after posting.
Could you please either confirm how I can delete them, or use your super moderator powers to edit the post?

Many thanks,

Natasha

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moderators can edit titles, but not postings Jan 26, 2008

Hi Natasha,

I just got in and saw your message. I tried to go in and remove the links, however when I click on "Edit" I get an error message stating that the editing function is disabled 24 hours after posting.

That's correct - unfortunately, I saw these dangerous links too late.

Could you please either confirm how I can delete them, or use your super moderator powers to edit the post?

I have no idea what "super moderator powers" you're thinking of...
Moderators can edit titles, but have no access to forum postings.

I will ask ProZ.com site staff to remove these links.

For the future, it would be good to use some common sense when posting quotes - there are unsuspecting users who will click on such links.

Best regards,
Ralf

[Edited at 2008-01-26 20:10]

MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 08:16
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
MB became a scam itself Jan 26, 2008

In the summer, I wanted to increase my outgoing MB limit. They said I need to order a letter with some mysterious code for that (via simple AIRMAIL!). OK, I ordered this letter. It never came. OK, could be "let it be". A couple of weeks ago I wanted to withdraw my cash from them when I heard that they have serious problems and close MB account forever. But I COULD NOT take my cash because I SHOULD HAVE received that mysterious letter with the code which never came. Well, after a good half of a y... See more
In the summer, I wanted to increase my outgoing MB limit. They said I need to order a letter with some mysterious code for that (via simple AIRMAIL!). OK, I ordered this letter. It never came. OK, could be "let it be". A couple of weeks ago I wanted to withdraw my cash from them when I heard that they have serious problems and close MB account forever. But I COULD NOT take my cash because I SHOULD HAVE received that mysterious letter with the code which never came. Well, after a good half of a year, it appeared that this same letter with that mysterious code that I needed to have, is also supposed to verify my ID. For what??? I use a bank account, used all the MB services for years and they did not need any ID verifications. And how can I "fake" my ID if they verified my ID with my bank? And the last things that finally got me crazy - it is the 5th week when I am waiting for their Customer Support response about the issues I mentioned. Tried to phone the main office for five times on five different days - the lines are either busy, or no one picks up the phone. And the last thing - I realized that my MB account is LOCKED (I can now do nothing with it - just can see my account balance) - and now they ask me to provide my passport copy and my bill for heating because "by default" I am suspected to be a money launderer (well, seems to have a couple of hundred euros on their account is money laundering). Maybe after 1 month they will conficate my money because "by default" they will think those 200-300 EUR I have on MB and cannot take it, was received from cocaine trade, and as to verify that I am not someone like that, they will ask my 3-day-old blood test and a list of my last 200 of dialed phonecalls to my friends via DHL? I am really fed up with them. Really enough. Still have a high hope they will ever respond and that I will be able to take my cash. Otherwise - no other options as to write to file a serious complaint to UK consumer protection and related institutions...

[Edited at 2008-01-26 22:02]
Collapse

Natasha Dupuy
Natasha Dupuy  Identity Verified
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Links removed Jan 27, 2008

Ralf Lemster wrote:

For the future, it would be good to use some common sense when posting quotes - there are unsuspecting users who will click on such links.

Best regards,
Ralf

Good point!
With Yolanda's help, the links have now been removed.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Postings temporarily hidden Jan 27, 2008

Thanks to Yolanda for thinking about this!

With Yolanda's help, the links have now been removed.

Thanks, Natasha.

I have temporarily hidden the postings containing doubtful links; please try and edit them - contact me through my profile if you have problems.

Best regards,
Ralf

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
Good to drive us crazy Jan 27, 2008

All these things can quite easily drive people crazy...

Thank you all for bringing up these issues here, because you help those of us who are not really familiar with the subject (like myself) to learn more things.

And thank you Ralf, Yolanda and Natasha for the links. Very good point.

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TROJANS Jan 27, 2008

Ahmad Suhaili wrote:

By the way, Ahmad, I DID have a Trojan in my system. I do not know if I got it from the MB-related link (which I did not follow), but be very careful, people, out there!!!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

warning - possible Moneybookers scam

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »