+ ...
Jan 28, 2008

Saw job offer here.
Seems easy, of course.
Just words, no sentences.
12 000 words = USD 86.
A full day work, or more, I presume.
USD 86?
I don't know. And for a very famous "friends site".
If I could, I would'nt do it.

Direct link Reply with quote

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:54
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Bad faith? Jan 28, 2008

Hi Juan,

I can't help getting the impression you were assuming bad faith here. By contrast, I do believe USD 0.007 is just a typo/decimal point error.

Steffen

Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:54
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well... Jan 28, 2008

...offer is still there.
12340 words
at 0.007 USD per word [ TOTAL: 86.38 USD ]

Milton Guo  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 00:54
English to Chinese
+ ...
WOW! Jan 28, 2008

is it a search for typist instead of translator?

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
So what? Jan 28, 2008

Juan Jacob wrote:
...offer is still there.
12340 words
at 0.007 USD per word [ TOTAL: 86.38 USD ]

Simply ignore it. (I'm still sure this was a typo.)

Mexico
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So what? Jan 28, 2008

Also discussed here: http://www.proz.com/topic/94532
Same comment from you.
What are you after saying it is simply a typo and "just ignore it."?

Marta Amigo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
I was also amazed to see this job offer Jan 28, 2008

I am with Juan, I don't think it's a typo. Still, not worth carrying on with argument I suppose.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Simple... Jan 28, 2008

Juan,
To be perfectly honest, I'm missing the point of posting a new topic for every new job one considers underpriced. A general discussion on how to determine a fair price for services offered is useful - to me, this kind of posting simply generates publicity.

I don't know.

I do...

If I could, I would'nt do it.

Of course not.

Best regards,
Ralf

Yolanda Bello  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Maybe.... Jan 28, 2008

we should discuss what are the rate guidelines we should all bear in mind when accepting different types of assignments.

I think this would be very enlightening for the community.

I think it is very tiring to discuss over and over all the insulting prices we come across quite often in the market. I think we should continue discussing prices by focusing our discussion with a more specific objective(s).

Maybe?

Y

Mexico
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Excellent idea, Ralf. Jan 29, 2008

"A general discussion on how to determine a fair price for services offered is useful..."

Why don't open a new Forum:

"Low fees: how to fight them?", something like that?

We'll avoid publicity and have a lot of contributions, don't you think?

Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 09:54
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Actually... Jan 29, 2008

I do see the point in posting a new topic every time one sees an "insulting" offer (not that I'm going to do it). Bear with me for a second here:

I) True, for people who have become well-established enough to ensure a healthy and regular cash flow (which I'm assuming is Ralf's and Steffen's case - and I'm glad to be able to include myself in the category), the discussion might not be that interesting. In that case, we can simply skip it if we're not interested (I mean, the title "Easy job, but USD 0.007/word?" doesn't really leave any room for misinterpretation, does it?).

II) People need to vent - it's only human. Forums are an ideal channel for people to vent out their frustration.

III) For people who are either new to the translation industry or who have just moved from a local market to the international market, these forum threads are useful, as they let them know that people don't find a certain type of rates acceptable (and that sometimes they find them insulting). If you've never been exposed to a site like Proz, you might end up convinced that .03USD/word is a good rate after seeing a bunch of jobs with that rate and that your local clients might have been paying you way too much! (i.e. - http://www.proz.com/topic/94532?start=90&float= : "I'm a translator and I have worked for low rates but I didn't feel I had a choice.")

IV) Is it Proz's responsibility to make sure these jobs don't get posted.? Nah, I don't think so. (I know this wasn't mentioned in this thread, but it often gets mentioned in similar ones.)

V) Yes, threads discussing pricing guidelines and practices could be even more useful, but if a person wants to simply complain about a rate they saw, I honestly don't see what the big deal is. If you don't like it, simply ignore it.

PS. I agree with Steffen, it was most probably a typo.

PPS. Ralf, just out of curiosity, what exactly did you mean with "this kind of posting simply generates publicity?" It's an honest question, I just didn't understand what type of publicity you were referring to.

PPPS. I went through my own period of "what the hell?" when I first joined Proz, and I'm not going to deny it. However, my rates kept going up, I'm able to say no because I'm not up to my neck in debts that I shouldn't have in the first place, etc. If for some reason the international translation market stops being a profitable option for me, I'll just quit, as much as I like doing it!

PPPPS (whew!). What goes around comes around - that's probably why there aren't that many friendly responses in this particular thread.

Mexico
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No typo, Jan 29, 2008

...so far.

And thanks, Marcelo. Those are exactly my points.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Attracting attention vs. ignoring such offers Jan 30, 2008

Hi Marcelo,
Just a few things to add:

[II) People need to vent - it's only human. Forums are an ideal channel for people to vent out their frustration.

I beg to differ.
Bear in mind that forums are public, and are being referenced by search engines.

III) For people who are either new to the translation industry or who have just moved from a local market to the international market, these forum threads are useful, as they let them know that people don't find a certain type of rates acceptable (and that sometimes they find them insulting).

But simply complaining won't help them determine what could be a reasonable pricing level for them.

PPS. Ralf, just out of curiosity, what exactly did you mean with "this kind of posting simply generates publicity?" It's an honest question, I just didn't understand what type of publicity you were referring to.

Given the way notifications are filtered (by reference to prices stored in profiles), ideally such jobs should get no attention whatsoever. For some participants, reading about an "offending"/"insulting"/etc. job is an incentive to go and look for it; some of them may in fact go along with the suggested pricing.

Best regards,
Ralf

Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 09:54
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Re: Attracting attention vs. ignoring such offers Jan 30, 2008

Ralf Lemster wrote:
I beg to differ.
Bear in mind that forums are public, and are being referenced by search engines.

Fine, we'll agree to disagree on this

But simply complaining won't help them determine what could be a reasonable pricing level for them.

Maybe, but it will help them determine that other people find the particular rate in question unacceptable. That already is important in itself (I've already explained why in my previous post).

Given the way notifications are filtered (by reference to prices stored in profiles), ideally such jobs should get no attention whatsoever. For some participants, reading about an "offending"/"insulting"/etc. job is an incentive to go and look for it; some of them may in fact go along with the suggested pricing.

Ah, ok, I get it now. Good point. I'm still in favor of this type of threads, but that's definitely a factor to consider.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Easy job, but USD 0.007/word?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums