Certified/registered mail from Spain to Mexico.
Thread poster: patyjs

patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 29, 2008

I have a client, ex-client actually, who is sending me a cheque from Spain to Mexico. He claims it would cost him €80 to send €411 by wire transfer which seems exorbitant to me. The client is absolutely not trust-worthy, hence the ex, but still...

Does anyone know how long it might take to get here and whether I would be able to trace it from the date and number that I have requested from the client in the event that it doesn't. Always assuming it does actually get sent, of course.

Then it will be fingers (and everything else) crossed so that it doesn't bounce.

Thanks,

Direct link Reply with quote

Idoia Echenique  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:53
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You can track it Jan 29, 2008

Hello Paty,

It should be around a week and, if he sent it 'urgent' (as he should've done...), less than a week, unless you live in a very remote area.

If he gives you the 'localizador de envío', you can track it at correos website. He has no excuse!

http://tinyurl.com/l9rt9

www.correos.es

Good luck!!
Idoia

Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 09:53
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
¡FedEx! Jan 30, 2008

If he hasn't sent the check yet, make sure he sends it through FedEx. I've had problems with both DHL and UPS in Mexico, and I'm sure you know by know that the Mexican postal service is not very reliable (if I could tell you about all the packages gone missing....).

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Different country of origin; may be relevant to your experience, maybe not Jan 30, 2008

I had a cheque sent to me in Mexico from the U.S. It was sent by Priority Mail® International, which cost the client about $US 20. The US post office website says it should take 6–10 days but it took a little over 3 weeks. Another letter sent to me by regular mail at the same time by the same client arrived about 2 days sooner.

Supposedly this registered Priority Mail letter was trackable but it turned out that it was only traceable as long as it was still in the US. Once it crossed the border to Mexico, no one had a clue where it was until it turned up in my letter box.

Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well it has been sent, Jan 31, 2008

the client sent it by regular certified post instead of using a carrier, unfortunately, and I now have the tracking number. The correos site that Idoia mentioned (thanks!) says that is in Mexico and its condition is "confección de saca". This doesn't sound good. Can anyone enlighten me on what (and if) I should do next?

Thanks

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Patience Feb 1, 2008

Regarding "confección de saca"...

That's similar to what they told me about my letter from the U.S. when 3 weeks had gone by and the letter hadn't arrived. Since the letter actually did arrive in my mailbox later the same day, my theory (mind you, this is just my opinion) is that once it leaves the country of origin and enters Mexico, the tracking number is useless, and "held up at customs" is just a standard excuse, at least in the case of a letter (as opposed to a package). If my experience is any guide, give it 3 weeks before becoming worried, and then just after you have begun to wonder if it will ever arrive, there it is!

Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Goodwords Feb 1, 2008

I hope you're right. I'll try to be patient.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certified/registered mail from Spain to Mexico.

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums