Rates in USD and EURO
Thread poster: Maayan Steinberg

Maayan Steinberg  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 00:26
English to Hebrew
Feb 6, 2008

Hi,

after reading some posts here, I was amazed to discover that my rates in USD and EURO are probably wayyyyy to low. (e.g. 0.065 USD per word - agency, 0.16 USD - end client).

I translate English->Hebrew, and since most of my work is in Israel, I usually rate in the local currency - NIS. However, I do at least apply to agencies in the US and in Europe, so I need to know:
what's considered reasonable rates, both for end clients and for agencies?

I'd really appreciate your answers.

Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:26
English to Dutch
+ ...
Ratecalculator Feb 6, 2008

Hi Maayan,

if you enter your USD rate in the rate calculator here on ProZ, you can then proceed to a graph of the community rates for your language pair. That should give you an idea....
You can find the Rate Calculator under the tab Jobs on top of this page.

Best,
Margreet

Israel
English to Hebrew
TOPIC STARTER
I know Feb 6, 2008

Thank you,

But I don't have access to the rate calculator.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Go to Jobs - Rate Calculator Feb 6, 2008

Hi Maayan,

Thank you,

But I don't have access to the rate calculator.

What happens if you go to Jobs - Rate Calculator, as Margreet suggested?

The rate calculator is open to all users, and even to non-registered site visitors.

Best regards,
Ralf

Israel
English to Hebrew
TOPIC STARTER
What happens is Feb 6, 2008

that I still can't see the community rates for my language pair (membership is a bit too expensive for me at this stage),
and that it still doesn't help me with the difference between end clients and agencies. :-/

Israel
English to Hebrew
TOPIC STARTER
OK, I paid to see community rates Feb 6, 2008

Now, is it fair to say that for agencies I quote by the min. rate and for end clients I rate by the target?

Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
As a rule of thumb, yes Feb 6, 2008

Yes, that would be fair, I think.

Also, I checked your language pair. There are less than 50 translators working in your pair; if you have time, you could consider checking out their profiles. Some have entered their rates.

Check some agency's websites too; to some extent, their prices are what end clients expect to pay.

Welcome to the community!

Israel
English to Hebrew
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks!! Feb 6, 2008

I'll do that:-)

Juliana Starkman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 17:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hi Feb 6, 2008

I work in your language pair, with clients in Israel, Europe and North America. You are wildly underpricing yourself, especially in your agency rate. Without seeing your work I can tell you, you deserve more!
מגיע לך לפחות ,12, למילה
good luck!

Israel
English to Hebrew
TOPIC STARTER
"you should get at least 12 per word" Feb 6, 2008

I guess you meant 0.12 USD per word, right?

amm... I revised my rates to be 0.10-0.16 USD per word,
thinking I'd use 0.10 for agencies and 0.16 for others.

Does that sound more reasonable?

It seems that it stands about average in the community rates, but with the declining dollar value, it's not great...

[Edited at 2008-02-06 13:31]

Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
If I may.... Feb 6, 2008

we gotta be careful here, because ProZ-rules don't like a too specific discussion on rates. I'm surprised to see so many detailed postings on the subject already, lately.

I think you read Juliana's posting correctly, but missed the 'at least' part.
As far as I know Juliana (from what I've seen of her on this site), she means what she says and knows her business. So don't be afraid to follow her advice.

Your rates seem a bit low to me too, even compared to the average in my language pairs, where there is more competition.
Don't forget, you'll get a lot of agencies and clients who will want to negotiate lower rates, no matter what you offer. Make sure you start negotiating from a good position.

BTW, thanks for the translation. I learned Ancient Hebrew years ago, but now I even have trouble reading the letters....

Israel
English to Hebrew
TOPIC STARTER
As it is Feb 6, 2008

I don't get too many jobs in USDs, so I am a bit reluctant to ask for even higher rates.

I dunno...
If Juliana's right, and I bet she is, I'm really not the only one with low rates. (according to the average in my lang. pair).

Moreover, in Israel there's no way to get accreditation or anything similar (and I don't have a diploma or academic education in translation), so I guess that's another thing that limits me everywhere outside of Israel,
and without that - why should they agree to pay me more when they can get accreditated translator.

My work is good at least as that of any accreditated translator,
but I don't get enough chances to prove it:-/

Sorry for the whining, I'm kinda frustrated in that specific issue.
(Which is, BTW, why I actually revealed my specific rates. I want to know EXACTLY how good/bad they are).

Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
There are a lot of people here in your position Feb 6, 2008

Maayan Steinberg wrote:

why should they agree to pay me more when they can get accreditated translator.

My work is good at least as that of any accreditated translator,
but I don't get enough chances to prove it:-/

Don't be so sure they can get an accredited translator - judging by their presence on ProZ, there aren't all that many in your pair.

And there are a lot of translators here in the same position (without certifications). Be confident, be patient, don't give up - you'll be fine.

Good luck!

Israel
English to Hebrew
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Feb 6, 2008

I really appreciate you help and encouragement:-)

[Edited at 2008-02-06 15:51]

Oleg Rudavin  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Rate range Feb 6, 2008

Maayan Steinberg wrote:after reading some posts here, I was amazed to discover that my rates in USD and EURO are probably wayyyyy to low

Hi Maayan,

The issue of rates has always been and will be widely discussed - probably forever.

To properly identify yours, do take time to do some research:
- check profiles of those translators working in your language pairs
- visit websites of agencies in different countries and see what they charge for translation into Hebrew
- be aware of the great differences between price situations in different countries (you say your clients are mostly in Israel - well why not try finding new ones overseas?)

Raising one's rates often involves leaving (virtually, not physically ) ones domestic market. As an example, a lot of translators working into RU do not translate for domestic clients for that very reason.

You are new at ProZ - so browse the forums and Article Knowledgebase, there are loads of useful information! In a short time, you'll be laughing at your current frustration.

Cheers,
Oleg

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates in USD and EURO

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs