Mobile menu

looking for info on TM revision
Thread poster: Nicole Klingenberg
Nicole Klingenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:45
English to German
Feb 7, 2008

Hi there,
following a longer discussion with a translation agency about the poor quality of their client's Trados TM, we've agreed that I'll take care of revising the whole TM (check inconsistencies, delete improper entries, contact client for clarification of inhouse terminology if necessary, etc. Number of entries at the moment about 16000) . Should you have any experience concerning the technical procedure, how to charge for such a job etc., it would be great if you could share it!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:45
Italian to English
+ ...
Charge by the hour Feb 7, 2008

It's the only sensible way.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Anna Mantynen  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:45
German to Finnish
+ ...
Same here Feb 7, 2008

I'm about to start a similar task and was thinking of charging by hour and not making any estimation of time to be used beforehand, since I think it's quite impossible to know how many hours such a job will take; depends on so many variables.

I plan to make an export file of the TM and process it in Word (that has better Find-tools than Trados and is in every sense handier) and then import the TM back to Trados (of course, I'll test this with another, smaller TM before starting, in order to avoid any unpleasant surprises). If anyone has experience in this kind of work, I would be interested in hearing some tricks and pieces of advice, too!


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Kevin Fulton
United States
Local time: 19:45
German to English
Use a text editor to revise Feb 7, 2008

I've undertaken such a project. If possible, start with a list of problematic terms / sentences. Otherwise, you'll have to go through the TM line-by-line. I use Crimson Editor, but there are many free (and possibly better) products available for this purpose.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jan Willem van Dormolen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:45
English to Dutch
+ ...
DO NOT USE WORD Feb 7, 2008

Whatever you do, whatever editor you use, don't use Word. It adds enormous quantities of extra tags and codes that will totally distroy all hope of correctly reimporting the edited TM.
There are several editors that have Search&Replace, but do not fool around with the content, e.g. NoteTab.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Is Word really not trustworthy? Feb 7, 2008

Jan Willem van Dormolen wrote:

Whatever you do, whatever editor you use, don't use Word. It adds enormous quantities of extra tags and codes that will totally distroy all hope of correctly reimporting the edited TM.
There are several editors that have Search&Replace, but do not fool around with the content, e.g. NoteTab.


Jan, could you please explain this a bit more in depth? Maybe it happens when working in some specific formats? Maybe it depends on the MS Word version?

I have edited some small Trados TMs using Word (making sure I save the file as TXT) and everything was fine. Certainly you'll get extra tags and codes if you work with the 'Track Changes' option on, but I didn't experience any problem otherwise.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:45
English to French
+ ...
Olifant Feb 7, 2008

I will not get into any details, because it would be complicated to explain to someone who is new to Olifant, but download Olifant and see what it can do for you. I have used it in the past to make amendments to a fairly large TM and I found it worked great - better than Word anyways, because Olifant was made with people who use TMs in mind.

Download Olifant here: http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/Olifant.html

It's free.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jan Willem van Dormolen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:45
English to Dutch
+ ...
About Word Feb 8, 2008

Jerónimo Fernández wrote:

Jan Willem van Dormolen wrote:

Whatever you do, whatever editor you use, don't use Word. It adds enormous quantities of extra tags and codes that will totally distroy all hope of correctly reimporting the edited TM.
There are several editors that have Search&Replace, but do not fool around with the content, e.g. NoteTab.


Jan, could you please explain this a bit more in depth? Maybe it happens when working in some specific formats? Maybe it depends on the MS Word version?

I have edited some small Trados TMs using Word (making sure I save the file as TXT) and everything was fine. Certainly you'll get extra tags and codes if you work with the 'Track Changes' option on, but I didn't experience any problem otherwise.


You have been lucky then.
Word automatically adds lots of stuff. Just open a Word document in a text editor (Windows Notepad or Wordpad will do) and you'll see: You'll have to scroll through several pages of codes before you even reach the first text. These codes describe things like templates used in the document, fonts used in the document, who edited the document and when, some codes that only tell Word that, indeed, this is a Word document, and so on. These codes are all saved with the document, but are not (necessarily) understood by other applications, such as Trados. Even when you save as pure text, some of the codes remain.
So, even if it might work, don't take the risk, it's not necessary. There are safer alternatives out there.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Nicole Klingenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:45
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Feb 8, 2008

Though I do not want to interrupt the subject at all (I'm still happy about each and every info on the subject, siince my TM project won't start before mid-February), let me take the chance to say THANKS to everybody who already took the time to help me to get on the right track!
Best regards
Nicole


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'll keep it in mind Feb 8, 2008

Jan Willem van Dormolen wrote:

You have been lucky then.
Word automatically adds lots of stuff. Just open a Word document in a text editor (Windows Notepad or Wordpad will do) and you'll see: You'll have to scroll through several pages of codes before you even reach the first text. These codes describe things like templates used in the document, fonts used in the document, who edited the document and when, some codes that only tell Word that, indeed, this is a Word document, and so on. These codes are all saved with the document, but are not (necessarily) understood by other applications, such as Trados. Even when you save as pure text, some of the codes remain.
So, even if it might work, don't take the risk, it's not necessary. There are safer alternatives out there.


Thanks Jan, I'll keep this in mind.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

looking for info on TM revision

Advanced search


Translation news





SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs