Mobile menu

Rates for transcription of audio recording?
Thread poster: Neil Coffey

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:33
French to English
+ ...
Feb 11, 2008

I've been approached about transcribing some recorded material (in this case in French). Does anyone have any experience/guidelines of how much is typically charged for this kind of work?

Direct link Reply with quote

Oleg Rudavin  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 04:33
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Charge per hour Feb 11, 2008

As simple as that

Cheers,
Oleg

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
15 minutes of tape = 1 hour's work (roughly) Feb 11, 2008

There have been similar queries in the past - I'm sure you'll find them if you search the forums.
But from my personal experience I remember charging per hour for every 15 minutes of tape, based on something I had read somewhere.

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Previous discussion Feb 11, 2008

Here's one previous discussion where I said the same thing

http://www.proz.com/topic/85037

and quoted this site:

"How long does it take to transcribe a one-hour long recording?

There is no definite answer to this. Transcription industry standards dictate that 10 to 15 minutes of speech takes one hour to type and therefore a 60 minute recording should take somewhere between 4 and 6 hours to transcribe, based on a good quality recording without any hindering factors."

http://es-transcription.co.uk/faqs.htm

Vladimir Dubisskiy  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:33
English to Russian
+ ...
though not with French Feb 12, 2008

I strongly doubt the hourly rates would work with transcribing.

I was doing it on a regular basis during the last year for a US-based client - transcribing audio files (from Russian, Ukrainian into English) and was paid on per minute basis - considered pretty good and fair.

It was 5.50 USD per minute. The count was provided by my client and was stated in the PO. usually it was 60 - 70 min long files. After first 2 files I just loved doing it - all went pretty fast and smoothly - never took me more than 3-3.5 hrs to complete)

Oleg Rudavin wrote:
Charge per hour
As simple as that

Cheers,
Oleg

[Edited at 2008-02-12 05:08]

Elvana Moore  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Albanian
+ ...
A different experience in charging for audio files Feb 12, 2008

I work with audio files regularly. My client offeres to pay for: listening (about 1 euro per minute), and transcription separately. I personally thing this is the best way to deal with it, as it divides the work you do on the audio file and you can then give a suitable price.

Working on audio files can be time consuming at first, therefore charging per hour might be tricky.

ritavbrandao  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:33
English to Portuguese
+ ...
charging by hour Feb 14, 2008

When you charge by hour, you consider the minutes/hour of the recording or the total of hours you have to spend on the project?

For example: if the client pays USD$300/hour of recording, do you think that´s all right, even though it might take up to 5 hours to listen to the whole recording?

juvera  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Answer to Rita Feb 15, 2008

ritavbrandao wrote:

When you charge by hour, you consider the minutes/hour of the recording or the total of hours you have to spend on the project?
For example: if the client pays USD$300/hour of recording, do you think that´s all right, even though it might take up to 5 hours to listen to the whole recording?

An hour-long tape takes an hour to listen to.
You may decide to listen to the tapes first, or you may skip that, it is your decision. Clients don't usually pay for that, and it is debatable, how much faster you would be able to do the transcription because you heard the tapes in one go.

A few minutes of listening would give you some idea what to expect and assist you to manage your time on the project.

Transcribing takes much longer, taking the speed of typing into consideration, and indeed, you may listen to certain passages repeatedly to be sure that you got it right. The necessity of that depends on the quality of the sound, the idiosyncrasies of the speaker or speakers, and on how many voices there are, and how easy to distinguish between them.

It is usual to charge by the actual minutes of the tape, but if in doubt, try to charge by the hour for the time the whole process takes. I think 15 minutes of tape per hour may be a bit optimistic for those who haven't done it before. 10 min. would be more realistic.

[Edited at 2008-02-15 23:14]

Emily Lemon  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 03:33
German to English
I agree with juvera Feb 17, 2008

For someone who has not done transcription before, I agree that 10 minutes of audio takes about 1 hour of transcription. In all the transcription jobs I have done, I was paid by the length of the recording. How long it took me to transcribe the text was not really relevant to the client.

[Edited at 2008-02-17 21:22]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for transcription of audio recording?

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs