does it matter if I get paid in USD
Thread poster: Julian Wood

Julian Wood  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:08
Czech to English
+ ...
Feb 12, 2008

Hi
I'm doing a translation for a company in Mexico who want to pay me through Paypal in US$, will Paypal charge a currency conversion fee? Should I ask the company to pay me in GBP, and if so, which exchange rate should I use?
Diky moc/ thanks a lot

Direct link Reply with quote

Suzette Martin-Johnson
Canada
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Ask for your own currency Feb 12, 2008

It's usually easier administratively to take your own currency. USD is fine for me on this end but with currency fluctuations and the strength of the GBP your obvious choice should be GBP. They probably want to pay in USD as it's cheaper for them somehow in the conversion.

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Bit late? Feb 12, 2008

I hate to be one of those people who respond to queries on these forums with "Well, what you should have done was...." and in so doing provide little practical help, but this reply is in a similar vein.

If you've agreed to be paid in USD, I reckon you might have to stick with it. Of course, if it is advantageous to your client and you both to change what was agreed, then see what you can do.

Otherwise, I kinda tend to think a deal is a deal, and if the dollar sinks to be worth 5 pence before you've finished the job, or if you have to pay half your earnings in currency conversion fees well, sorry, but, too bad...

We (collectively, not you specifically ) are always complaining on here about clients wanting to change what was agreed. So...

Of course, you can always, always ask "Don't ask, don't get" as my grandad always said. But they might say no, and if they do, I don't think there's much you can do, really.

Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:08
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
I think the info is somewhere on their site Feb 12, 2008

I suspect PayPal does charge a currency conversion fee or commission. Or think maybe I have seen something to this effect sometime in the past. But I don't know for sure and am too lazy to check it up right now. Look through their site, FAQ, etc... and you'll probably find the answer.

If you can't find the info on PayPal's site, I suggest sending them a question by email and I think they will answer. (Think I did this once and that they replied helpfully.)

My preferred currency is the euro, but a few US based clients pay me in USD by PayPal. In general, I feel that I lose a small percentage of the payment each time (perhaps btw. 2 and 5 %), because of PayPal´s payment processing fees. (Of course, I realize your question was more concerning fees for currency conversions as such.)

Thomas

Czech to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 12, 2008

Thanks for the posts. Will ask, check the FAQ's and then accept what we decide on!

Czech to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answer Feb 12, 2008

Here https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees-outside

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

does it matter if I get paid in USD

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs