What to charge for retyping source words
Thread poster: Ahmad Suhaili
Ahmad Suhaili
Local time: 20:13
English to Malay
+ ...
Feb 13, 2008

Hi all,

I've just received a job from my regular agency and this time the file is in pdf format (brochure with text and pictures) rather than the usual word doc. It is also a non-extractable file and I'm sure the agency knows that. I've not accepted it yet and thinking of charging them for having to retype the source text followed by the translation as per their request.

How much extra should I charge? I'm thinking 20-25% extra..too little, too much? Thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2008-02-13 12:41]

Direct link Reply with quote

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:13
English to Dutch
+ ...
Why retype? Feb 13, 2008

Just deliver a Word-doc with the translation.
Text only, of course.

If they really want you to retype the source text, charge them by the hour for the typing as such. If they think that's too much, they can have someone at their office retype it.

Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:13
Member (2005)
Italian to English
That's strange - I can't see the original post, just the heading! Feb 13, 2008

I only see the heading above Margreet's answer - the original post seems to have
mysteriously vanished!

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Nothing strange at all... Feb 13, 2008

Ivana,
There's nothing mysterious or strange about it...

Ivana Micheli wrote:

I only see the heading above Margreet's answer - the original post seems to have
mysteriously vanished!

Ahmad edited his original posting (which I had vetted), so I needed to vet it again.
You could have asked me... ... or check the FAQ.

Best regards,
Ralf

[Edited at 2008-02-13 13:46]

Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:13
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Why retype? Feb 13, 2008

It's routine here to deliver source text by fax or as non-extractable PDF. Translators routinely read the source text and type the target text.

You have a couple of options:
a. Ask them to retype it.
b. Quote them a slightly higher rate. You want to encourage them to provide you with text you can put into tools.
c. See if you can run it through an OCR program.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Hire a typist Feb 13, 2008

Ahmad Suhaili wrote:
I've not accepted it yet and thinking of charging them for having to retype the source text followed by the translation as per their request.

No matter how fast you think you can type, a professional typist can type a lot faster for a lot cheaper. Raise your rate by 20% and then give the text to a typist and pay him/her between 10% and 20% of your rate. You could also pay a proofreader to compare the typed text to the original to ensure that they are the same.

I have hired typists before and it is a pleasure working with them -- but they must be able to type 75-90 words per minute with 99% accuracy.

Anna Sylvia Villegas Carvallo
Mexico
Local time: 06:13
English to Spanish
If in English and not too large... Feb 13, 2008

Ahmad Suhaili wrote:
I've not accepted it yet and thinking of charging them for having to retype the source text followed by the translation as per their request.

If the source text (PDF) is in English, send it to me. I can do it as long as it is not too large, and for FREE. I'll be available tomorrow. Don't think I'll type the text; I'll just use my 'Microsoft Office Document Imaging', and convert to Word.

My email: carvallo@traducciones-mexico.com

Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Able2Extract will do it for you! Feb 13, 2008

Able2Extract (http://www.investintech.com/prod_options.htm) reads locked PDFs!
No need to retype!

Sven Petersson
Medical translator

Jan Willem van Dormolen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Not free Feb 14, 2008

Sven Petersson wrote:

Able2Extract (http://www.investintech.com/prod_options.htm) reads locked PDFs!
No need to retype!

Sven Petersson
Medical translator

That program is not free at all. There's a 7 day trial period, but after that it's paytime.

Ahmad Suhaili
Local time: 20:13
English to Malay
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Misread the job instruction *blush* Feb 14, 2008

Well, as it turned out, the job instruction only required that I type the English prompt. I just figured out that it meant I only have to type in the first few words of the source sentence or paragraph followed by the translation, just so the dtp people will know where the text belongs on the page.

Source file was in pdf with texts and graphics merged to such a degree that Able2Extract and Acrobat Pro 8 was not able to extract the texts and I did try them both.

Thanks for all the input given. Cheers!

Kathryn Litherland  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:13
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Need to retype source? Feb 14, 2008

The first thing I would do is make sure you are correctly understanding the agency's wishes to have you produce a text version of the source text along with the translated text. If that's the case, then I think you should definitely get additional compensation for it. Depending on how long the text is and the turnaround time (and how fast your own typing speed is!), it may be worth your while to either subcontract it out or perform OCR on the PDF and go back and clean it up.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What to charge for retyping source words

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs