Thread poster: TRussell
TRussell
TRussell
Ireland
Local time: 12:15
German to English
Feb 19, 2008

Dear all,

A colleague has asked for advice on what hourly rate to charge to clients when interpreting for the courts/police/health service in Ireland from Moldavian, Russian and French into English.

I am not familiar with the going rates for these combinations and would be interested in your feedback.

I can tell you that payment from one agency I heard of is 25 eur per hour for the interpreter, so presumably the client is charged more than this.

... See more
Dear all,

A colleague has asked for advice on what hourly rate to charge to clients when interpreting for the courts/police/health service in Ireland from Moldavian, Russian and French into English.

I am not familiar with the going rates for these combinations and would be interested in your feedback.

I can tell you that payment from one agency I heard of is 25 eur per hour for the interpreter, so presumably the client is charged more than this.

Thanks and regards!
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:15
English to German
+ ...
25 euros is ridiculous Feb 19, 2008

Hi Tara,
Not exactly an answer to your question, but anyway: ask your local plumber about his hourly charges. My guess is that the figure will be higher than EUR 25...

Best regards,
Ralf

Alfredo Fernández Martínez
Alfredo Fernández Martínez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
You are worth as much as you ask for Feb 19, 2008

Tara,

As Ralf quite rightly pointed out, people with, let's say, not-so-long, and not-so-easy training do charge much more.

Here in Spain, minimum rate is around 50 Euros and hour, particularly for rare language combinations, as those seem to be.

And Ireland IS NOT cheaper than Spain.

You are worth as much as you ask for

Plus... how can you make a living otherwise? We do not work a 40-hours-a-week shift, so, unmistakably, we must
... See more
Tara,

As Ralf quite rightly pointed out, people with, let's say, not-so-long, and not-so-easy training do charge much more.

Here in Spain, minimum rate is around 50 Euros and hour, particularly for rare language combinations, as those seem to be.

And Ireland IS NOT cheaper than Spain.

You are worth as much as you ask for

Plus... how can you make a living otherwise? We do not work a 40-hours-a-week shift, so, unmistakably, we must charge more per hour.

With all due respect...

If they want to pay you peanuts, ask them to get monkeys!

I say!

Alfredo
Collapse

TRussell
TRussell
Ireland
Local time: 12:15
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks, i agree Feb 20, 2008

Dear Ralf and Alfredo,

Thank you for your responses.
I also felt that the rate of EUR 25 was very poor.
I will pass on your feedback to my Moldovian colleague.

By the way, I had a plumber here recently and he charged EUR50 per hour

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

rates for interpreting from Moldavian, Russian and French into English

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »