Thread poster: Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:26
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Jan 7, 2002

Incredible, absolutely incredible. The agency wants \"translation lawyers\" -- obviously a very specialized and delicate field -- in about twenty language combinations. And just think, folks, their maximum payment is 0.048 euro a WORD. At a rate like that, what kind of contracts or legal documents do they think they\'ll get?

This is an insult to lawyers and translators alike.

And to top it all off, the bidding deadline (thank goodness!) is Dec. 31... ahem... a week ago!
... See more
Incredible, absolutely incredible. The agency wants \"translation lawyers\" -- obviously a very specialized and delicate field -- in about twenty language combinations. And just think, folks, their maximum payment is 0.048 euro a WORD. At a rate like that, what kind of contracts or legal documents do they think they\'ll get?

And to top it all off, the bidding deadline (thank goodness!) is Dec. 31... ahem... a week ago!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-07 08:54 ]
Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 23:26
German to English
+ ...
Hear, hear Jan 7, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-07 08:53, cbolton wrote:

... See more
Quote:

On 2002-01-07 08:53, cbolton wrote:

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-07 08:54 ]

This job posting is an insult to us all! The outsourcer, 1Global Translators (www.1globaltranslators.com) should be boycotted and blacklisted in every possible way. By the way: their website says \"copyright 1999\"; yet, their site is still under construction!!! What does that tell you?? ▲ Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:26
German to English
+ ...
...yet somehow funny Jan 7, 2002

Werner, it tells me that this is a company that will not be in business for long. Obviously someone with so little sense - offering lawyers EUR0.04/word to translate - cannot have checked out the market in any meaningful way before they decided to get into business! I am as appalled as the next person at the bargain basement rate issue, but on the other hand, some of these people are just clueless. Maybe we should laugh this one off.

Gabriel Csaba
Gabriel Csaba  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
They're still rolling Jun 29, 2007

And trying to feed on newbies like me, as it seems.

They asked me for a 1500 word HUN-SPA translation, I made my offer, they put a deadline, we both accepted, and then out of the blue I get a legal text about construction, a checklist, a procedure, plus instructions to read two other tutorials in order to produce the exact translation they want, or else face the consequences.

They never asked if I am a sworn translator, which I am not. They never mentioned the highly s
... See more
And trying to feed on newbies like me, as it seems.

They asked me for a 1500 word HUN-SPA translation, I made my offer, they put a deadline, we both accepted, and then out of the blue I get a legal text about construction, a checklist, a procedure, plus instructions to read two other tutorials in order to produce the exact translation they want, or else face the consequences.

They never asked if I am a sworn translator, which I am not. They never mentioned the highly specialized nature of the text, nor was there any talk about a pile of reading material I should chew my way through before I even start working.

Needless to say, I was more than happy to turn the job down. Then I looked them up here, and all I came up with was this 5-year-old post. Figures...

(Note to self: Next time check Blue Board before replying to an offer.)
Collapse

Constanze Deus-Konrad
Constanze Deus-Konrad  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:26
Member (2019)
French to German
+ ...
bad payment policy Nov 3, 2011

Yes, they are still rolling in 2011 and they have no payment policy at all.
They contacted me by phone for a small translation and I sent them my conditions by e-mail, 0,10 Euro per word and payment within 30 days according to German law.
After 30 days, I still hadn't received payment and I sent a friendly reminder. Then they asked me if nobody told me that their payment conditions are 60 days after invoice and that the invoice will be settled at the end of the month. I answered that
... See more
Yes, they are still rolling in 2011 and they have no payment policy at all.
They contacted me by phone for a small translation and I sent them my conditions by e-mail, 0,10 Euro per word and payment within 30 days according to German law.
After 30 days, I still hadn't received payment and I sent a friendly reminder. Then they asked me if nobody told me that their payment conditions are 60 days after invoice and that the invoice will be settled at the end of the month. I answered that nobody had told me that and that I had set up clearly my own conditions which no one contested, therefore accepted. As the settlement still has not been made I have just sent a second unfriendly reminder and threatened them with a lawyer. I hope this helps. After all, a few days ago they tried to contact me by phone and bothered me ringing three days long, every five minutes. But I just wasn't in the mood to talk to them, as things are quite clear.

[Bearbeitet am 2011-11-03 13:22 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2011-11-03 13:22 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translation lawyers job posting -- ugh!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »