Mobile menu

Translators\' rates: how can I ask from an agency?
Thread poster: bagiola
bagiola
English to Italian
Jan 7, 2002

Good afternoon to everybody!!! I am Italian and I am a student but I would like to do some translations; could someone tell me how much euros for a translation (per word) can I ask to an agency? Thank you very much

Bagiola

Direct link Reply with quote

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:56
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
starting out Jan 8, 2002

Since you\'re just starting out, I can give you this suggestion. Tell the agencies that you would be happy to accept what they pay their other translators. All agencies have a fee schedule.

There is no set rate in Italy. I\'ve found that the rates differ greatly not only from region to region but also within regions.

You\'ll probably find that you have to work at lower rates in the beginning, but this will help you gain experience, which is often better than a shelf full of dictionaries.

Good luck!

Patricia Lutteral  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Translators are professionals Jan 8, 2002

Dear Bagiola,

It is very difficult to give you a piece of advice. Your profile is empty; we can\'t even know whether you are studying Translation or anything else.

I have the impression that you think that being a translator requires no particular qualification. Your question about \"How much can I ask for a translation\" suggests that you have no idea whatsoever about this profession.

It requires a lot of study, and in general a degree is preferred (some people are particularly talented, but not everyone is Mozart, you know).

If you are studying translation, a premature start could put your future chances at risk;

and if you are a student of something else, I would say \"Forget about it\".

Translation is not a game you play in your free time. It is a real profession, like practising medicine or being an architect.

Best regards,

Patricia
[addsig]

Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:56
Member (2002)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Translators and interpreters are professionals, too. Jan 8, 2002

I completely agree with Patricia. I think one of the biggest problems (or misfortune) our profession is facing is that the majority of the public thinks anyone who happens to speak or know two or more languages can be a translator or interpreter (no trainings or experiences required). This is SO far from the truth. I remember reading an article in an ATA Chronicle stating that a person who knows about medicine will not dare to perform an operation. Unfortunately, there are too many \"amateurs\" in our professional, who lower the quality and standard of our profession. I think this situation is pretty bad in the US, and I can also see why most people do not respect our profession at all!

I think it is our duty as professional translators and/or interpreters to educate the public (and unfortunately this sometimes includes agencies) about what a true professional is!!!

Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:56
Member (2002)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Translators and interpreters are professionals, too. Jan 8, 2002

I completely agree with Patricia. I think one of the biggest problems (or misfortune) our profession is facing is that the majority of the public thinks anyone who happens to speak or know two or more languages can be a translator or interpreter (no trainings or experiences required). This is SO far from the truth. I remember reading an article in an ATA Chronicle stating that a person who knows about medicine will not dare to perform an operation. Unfortunately, there are too many \"amateurs\" in our profession, who lower the quality and standard of our profession. I think this situation is pretty bad in the US, and I can also see why most people do not respect our profession at all!

I think it is our duty as professional translators and/or interpreters to educate the public (and unfortunately this sometimes includes agencies) about what a true professional is!!!

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
Local time: 00:56
German to English
+ ...
BRAVO, Brenda and Patricia - well put!!!!!! Jan 8, 2002

I could not have put it any better. THANK YOU!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translators\' rates: how can I ask from an agency?

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs