Mobile menu

Rates for translation of legal text into Swedish
Thread poster: Goose123
English to Swedish
+ ...
Mar 11, 2008

I have recently been asked to submit a proposal for translation services and proof reading of legal texts (English to Swedish). I have extensive experience of inhouse translation, but am new in the freelance business. Could someone help me with the following issues:

1. What is the appropriate price per page (1500 characters) and per hour for a) translation and b) proof reading?

2. What should the relatioin between translation and proof reading be? Is there a reason to charge less per hour for proof reading than for translation?

3. The client is a public body. Should that influence the price?

Many thanks in advance!

[Edited at 2008-03-11 21:24]

[Edited at 2008-03-11 21:26]

Direct link Reply with quote

Sofia Lauffs
Local time: 18:18
English to Swedish
+ ...
Where, when, what? Mar 13, 2008

In Sweden it's more common to charge by word, than by character, so I haven't got a clue how much would be suitable. I checked one of my recent jobs and there was 3028 characters in one page which made up 520 words. You'll have to set your rate according to how much you think your work is worth, and how much you need to charge in order to survive.

Is this client paying you as an employee, or as a contractor? Have you got F-skattesedel (proof that you, yourself pay the taxes rather than your employer)? Are you based in Sweden?

If you're based in Sweden, and you run some kind of company (HB, EB, AB with F-skattebevis) then you can make a rough estimate that you will keep 50% of what you charge as a salary (after taxes has been paid).

Can't help you with what the rates "should" be, I'm afraid. My personal rates are on the lowish side, since I value the fact that I can sit and work in my own home (No need to even get dressed in the morning!), and on my own times.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for translation of legal text into Swedish

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs