Mobile menu

Rates in the UK
Thread poster: Elisa Noetinger

Elisa Noetinger  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
Mar 14, 2008

Hello all

I have to translate aprox 6000 words within the next 10 days and it´s a technical text. Any idea how much should I charge ? I am employed in house and this private request took me by surprise !

Thanks !!

Direct link Reply with quote

Paul Adie  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depends on the text... Mar 14, 2008

I've found that a base rate for translation in the UK is 50 pounds per thousand words. As it's technical, I suppose it will require a lot of research, so possible a bit higher, say 60 quid per thousand? Do a search on here - there should be lots of information about rates.

Suerte,

Paul.

Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
At least 60 pounds/1000 Mar 14, 2008

I would say... at least 60 pounds/1000 specially given that the pound is devaluating with respect to the euro.

That's my standard rate for regular translations in the UK. Let's see what others say...

Good luck!

jackiekiefer
German to English
+ ...
I agree! Mar 14, 2008

I agree, 50 pounds is extremely low for the UK. I personally wouldn't translate anything for any UK agency for less than 60-65 and wouldn't do a technical text for less than 75-80. And like Penelope said, these rates should now go up anyway, as the pound, like the dollar, is plummeting in value.

Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:48
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Starting with £60 Mar 14, 2008

My present rate is 60 pounds/1K source words, non software UI.

For software strings, I get paid from 10% to 25% more than base rate.

Good luck,
Jose

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
at least... Mar 14, 2008

£70/1000 words... you'll find that many translators still charge £50-60/1000 words, but that's now way too low considerig the cost of living, especially in London.

Giovanni

Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Cost of living Mar 14, 2008

As I said, that price is for standard translations... would go higher for a technical one. And yes...as Giovanni sais you have to consider that cost of living in the UK (I live in Spain).

Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2006)
Swedish to English
+ ...
6p per source word Mar 14, 2008

I charge 6p per source word, or 60 pounds per 1000 and I keeping getting work at that price. I wouldn't suggest going any lower.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Well you can't really go any lower Mar 14, 2008

Paul Lambert wrote:

I charge 6p per source word, or 60 pounds per 1000 and I keeping getting work at that price. I wouldn't suggest going any lower.

Do you really charge only 6p for SV to EN? And you live in Sweden where 50+% (actually, I think was nearer to 60% when I was based in Sweden a few years ago) of your income as a freelancer will go straight into the pockets of the tax man?

My rates are not set in stone, but for general, not technical, texts SV-EN, they're usually roughly double of what you charge. I can't remember ever going lower than 0.10 at any time during the last few years. For texts which require specialized knowledge/experience/research, my rates are even higher (sometimes double), legal and financial translations require a lot of research. And my daytime job is marketing financial products and translating/localizing T&Cs and contractual information (and no, when I was a full-time freelancer, I didn't charge any less just out of desperation).

However, for EN-ES, I don't think you can charge as much (due to the fact that Spanish is the native language in some countries with lower cost of living, as well as lower taxation).

[Edited at 2008-03-14 22:47]

Michael Benis  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Ball park Mar 19, 2008

Elisa, the figures you've been given here are pretty much in the ball park. Consider that there's quite a bit of low-rate competition in Spanish, but as others have said it is a technical text - how technical only you know. The cut-off rate for FIGS with most run-of-the-mill UK translation companies is around GBP 75 unless the work is either highly technical or requires copywriting skills.

hth

Mike

CLIVE PYGOTT  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Rates in the UK Mar 21, 2008

I was pleased to see the comments under this heading, having just seen a job advertised from the US as "slightly technical" for 7 US cents per word, a quite disgraceful "slave" rate. I must say that I frequently see very low rates advertised in Proz and when the "Closed" sign appears I wonder who is doing the work for very low rates. OK, I understand that translators' circumstances vary enormously, but working for low rates is bad for ALL translators in the end. Apologies if this point has been overworked before.

Jay Kim  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 07:18
English to Korean
+ ...
Charge by hour and proofing rate Mar 22, 2008

Just about to post my question on average proofing rateand hourly charge for translation, and came across this thread. A UK agency approached me, saying they were looking for Korean proofreaders for long-term collaboration. My base rate for UK is 65-70 GBP per 1K and it worked for just a few UK agencies I know. No experience with proofing though. I have no idea on proofing rate(per word, per hour) and hourly chage for translation. For US and Europe, I usually charge proofreading for around 1/2 of what I charge for translation. I know most colleagues are not familiar with Asian language pairs but you can shed light on my question from experince in your working pairs. It appears to me UK market is tricky to find and set average rate/charge in sepcific language pair. Any comment will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Jay

[Edited at 2008-03-22 16:56]

[Edited at 2008-03-22 16:57]

Milton Guo  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 06:48
English to Chinese
+ ...
Well said Mar 24, 2008

CLIVE PYGOTT wrote:

I was pleased to see the comments under this heading, having just seen a job advertised from the US as "slightly technical" for 7 US cents per word, a quite disgraceful "slave" rate. I must say that I frequently see very low rates advertised in Proz and when the "Closed" sign appears I wonder who is doing the work for very low rates. OK, I understand that translators' circumstances vary enormously, but working for low rates is bad for ALL translators in the end. Apologies if this point has been overworked before.

There are always desperate people who do not respect themselves too much out there.

Elisa Noetinger  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 25, 2008

Hey all !

First of all many thanks for all the replies, they were very informative ! In the end I will be paid 80 pounds per 1000 words...

The text was about acuariums etc and some parts were quite technical but I managed. It was worth the effort. You have to start somewhere...

Best to all !

Elisa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates in the UK

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs