Nicolás Brignone  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:19
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 14, 2008

Hi,

Has anybody had their PayPal cheques stolen at the Argentine postal service?

Thanks,

Nicolás

Direct link Reply with quote

Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, once Mar 14, 2008

Hi Nicolás,

I asked for a Paypal cheque only once, and it never arrived so I assumed it was stolen. I use Xoom.com now, you´ve got to pay a fee, but you can cash the transfer the same day at Banco Francés. Have a look at their page, it´s very convenient, though there´s a limit of USD 2.500 a month.
Regards,
Marina

xxxBrandis
Local time: 03:19
English to German
+ ...
I do not understand how that can happen.. Mar 14, 2008

I am not referrring to argentina post offices in particular, but paypal cheques are usually account payee cheques, only the beneficiary can encash them at his bank. I used that service for a while, but it was expensive, my bank was again charging me USD 25,- and the paypal was charging about USD40,- for the issuance of the cheque. Brandis

patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
Similar situation, Mar 14, 2008

I'm following this thread with interest because I've been waiting for a cheque from Spain (not Paypal) since January. Although I'm not in Argentina, it looks like the same thing has happened. Like Brandis, I'm confused as to how a personal cheque could be deposited/cashed by someone other than the payee. Or am I really naïve...

fingers crossed...

m a r i n a  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Mar 14, 2008

But they do take a while to get here, approx. two weeks. Ocasa is the courier service that delivers the checks in Argentina.

HTH,

--
Marina

Anna Sylvia Villegas Carvallo
Mexico
Local time: 20:19
English to Spanish
Once upon a time... Mar 14, 2008

I lived in Mexico City. My mother lived here in Veracruz, where she was well-known.

I sent her a certified check in an envelope by post. Some "smart" guy at the post office thought he could steal and cash the check. But, oh surprise, he understood he couldn't. Then, he decided to throw the teared envelope with the check into the trash can. Another honest employee did the discovery, and sent the letter and the check to the post office in Veracruz. The Manager phoned my mum, and, end of the story.

This happens very often (anywhere).

[Edited at 2008-03-15 05:29]

Nicolás Brignone  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everybody for your help Mar 15, 2008

Hi again,

Thank you for your opinions.

I know that for anybody who doesn't live in Argentina it's hard to understand how somebody could be able to cash or deposit a cheque that's not to his name, but it has happened to me with regular bank cheques sent from the States.

Once again, thank you.

Nicolás

Thorson
Local time: 03:19
Danish to English
US mail isn't a safe place for checks either Mar 16, 2008

Nicolás Brignone wrote:

Hi again,

Thank you for your opinions.

I know that for anybody who doesn't live in Argentina it's hard to understand how somebody could be able to cash or deposit a cheque that's not to his name, but it has happened to me with regular bank cheques sent from the States.

Once again, thank you.

Nicolás

It's not just Argentina--I had checks stolen from the mail in California and cashed--and the thief even signed my company initials, just 3 letters, on the back.

I've had numerous checks stolen from the US mail. Tip to US users--never follow the banks instructions and write "mail teller" on the envelope, lol.

For this reason I really hassle clients who try to pay by check until they agree to pay by PayPal or bank transfer, and my PayPal withdrawals go directly to my bank account.

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:49
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Not my experience Mar 16, 2008

I used to regulary withdraw money from my paypal account via cheque as till recently paypal was not directly transferring to bank accounts in India.

Every time, the cheque arrived without fail, though it did take its time, some 40 days!

Perhaps, the Indian Postal Service is more honest than its Argentine counterpart.

But like Brandis it is a mystery to me too how anyone else can encash an account payee cheque.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Stolen PayPal cheques

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs