How do I receive payments via PayPal? (which steps to follow?)
Thread poster: Sílvia Miranda Sánchez

Sílvia Miranda Sánchez  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 15, 2008

Hi!

I'm starting as a freelance translator and I'm a bit lost... Up to now, I had always worked for Spanish companies. All of them pay through a bank transference -no problems.

Now I got my first jobs from an international customer (British agency) and they pay via PayPal. I created my PayPal account but, now what? What are the steps needed to receive a payment? Do I need to issue the "payment request" from the Paypal site? I know I need to email my own invoice to my customer, together with their PO. What other info do they (agencies) need from me in order to do the payment? Just my email (Paypal username)? Or do I need to click on the "Request payment" at paypal, then send my customer a link or something?

I've searched throughout the forums, but couldn't find an answer... This question may be incredibly silly for all of you, but I'm a newbie, sorry! ^^

Thanks a lot!

Sílvia

Direct link Reply with quote

M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:02
English to Polish
Just email address Mar 15, 2008

The agency needs only your Paypal email address. You can include this information in your invoice. That's what I do.

Once they pay, you should get an email from Paypal informing you that you received a payment. Then you can log into your account (it's always safer to log in from you saved Bookmarks, than clicking provided link, in case you get a scam email) and withdraw your money to your bank account (if you have set up a bank account in Paypal).

Depending on your settings you may also need to accept the payment first, but that would be explained in the email from Paypal.

I hope this helps

Anni

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 09:02
English to Indonesian
+ ...
paypal username Mar 15, 2008

... aka email you used at paypal. of course, you put this on the po. personally, i also provide banking details in case the client prefers that means.

Jim Tucker  Identity Verified
United States
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Advantages to using the "request payment" option Mar 15, 2008

Sílvia, I would recommend doing it through "request payment." You can send them your regular invoice too if they require it, but on the smallest jobs, many firms think the PayPal invoice is enough. In any case, there's no downside to doing it this way, only upside (simplicity).

Also, if the client is late in paying, PP has a "remind" button - much easier to just press that instead of the unpleasant task of writing a letter about late payment. Better karma for you.

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
sending BOTH the regular invoice plus the PP invoice? Mar 15, 2008

Thanks a lot for your comments! It's much more clear to me now

Actually, I have several invoices. One large invoice of around 1000 € plus several smaller invoices (around 200-300 € each), so they might not accept just the PayPal invoice. shall I then send them the regular invoice PLUS the PayPal invoice through "request payment"? Does anybody do this (sending both), or you just choose one of the options?

Thanks again!!!

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:02
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Just a couple of things Mar 15, 2008

My invoice form ends with "Payment methods", and three items with checkboxes:

- Paypal to *my e-mail address*
- Ikobo to *my e-mail address*
- *a text field where I can write specific instructions, if we agreed to use any other method*

The two first ones show my e-mail address registered at the respective sites, in case you use more than one e-mail address. What could be worse if they sent the payment to the wrong e-mail, even if it's yours? These two are the ones which don't require any other info than your e-mail.

I add a note that if more than one box is checked, the client may use any of these. One agency I work for alternates between PayPal and Ikobo.

I see no need to send both invoices, yours and PayPal's.

Also, make sure you get verified by PayPal. This involves having some negligible amout charged to your credit card, so that a validation code will appear on your card statement. When you give them back this code, they'll know the card is actually yours, so it will be easier to withdraw money from PayPal... to you or anyone else you want to pay through them.

chandan mishra  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:32
English to Hindi
+ ...
payment through pay pal Mar 15, 2008

Hi silvia.
first of all you need to mention your paypal id to your customer in your invoice.
The steps of withdrawing money is not complicated.you need to link your bank account with your paypal(it require bank code).Then opt out for money withdrawl option in your paypal account.

I think this will serve your purpose

Chandan

[Edited at 2008-03-15 15:50]

chandan mishra  Identity Verified
English to Hindi
+ ...
payment through paypal Mar 15, 2008

you need to write down your paypal id in your invoice.Withdrawing money from paypal account is not a tough task.first link your paypal account with your bank account.and then opt for money withdrawl option from paypal.However you need to mention bank code also.

Tatiana Lammers  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
But first of all Mar 15, 2008

Yes, you opened an account with the PayPay. But the next step is to verify your bank - so that you'll be able to send the money from your PayPal account to your bank account.
Also make sure that you upgrade at lest to a Personal or Business account and list the limits on how much you'll be able to send to bank from PayPal.
Also read carefully how much you'll be charged by PayPal for every transaction (including getting money from a different country, currency conversion etc.).
Good luck!

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:02
Swedish to English
+ ...
Sounds very dangerous to me Mar 16, 2008

Sílvia Miranda Sánchez wrote:
sending BOTH the regular invoice plus the PP invoice?

I've never used PayPal's invoicing feature, but can see a number of problems. Notably, in your invoice you state your terms of payment. Does PayPal allow you to do this?

Also, your not very friendly taxman might consider the existence of two invoices as being evidence of two assignments. And tax you accordingly.

Thorson
Danish to English
Use normal precautions to be safe Mar 16, 2008

You may hear about people losing money, but it just takes normal care to make sure this doesn't happen.

Always make sure the web browser address when you go to paypal starts with https://www.paypal.com before you login.

Don't keep large amount in your paypal account in case it gets frozen, among other reasons.

If it does get frozen, call them. The auto-notification will tell you to fax all kinds of documents etc, but allmost always you can clear the problem by going through their tedious phone system and talking with a live person.

Accounts are most often frozen because the user is behind an anonymous proxy. Don't hide your ip when logging in to paypal.

Setup a separate bank account to connect to paypal in which you don't keep a large balance--it is possible for them (a hacker) to withdraw funds from the bank account connected to your paypal account.

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Mar 16, 2008

Um, setting up a different account is not a bad idea at all...

Ok, after all your great explanations, I think I'm ready for PayPal

Thanks a lot!!!

Sanjay Ray  Identity Verified
India
Member (2002)
English to Bengali
+ ...
Some more precautions Mar 16, 2008

1. Use paypal to receive smaller amounts only
2. Withdraw to your bank accounts as soon as you accumulate large amount
3. Time to time Log in to your account and check balance
4. Type paypal.com in your browser
5. Do not click suspicious mails pretending to be from paypal

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Paypal just for smaller amounts? What about large amounts? Mar 20, 2008

Hi again,

Some of you say that PayPal should be used for receiving small amounts only. If my customer offers to pay by cheque, PayPal or Moneybookers, and the amount to be invoiced is rather large, would you prefer get paid by cheque than by PayPal? Do you use different payment methods for different invoices (with the same customer) depending on, say, the amount to be invoiced?

Thanks again! You are very helpful!

Thorson
Danish to English
PayPal is much safer than checks Mar 31, 2008

Sílvia Miranda Sánchez wrote:

Hi again,

Some of you say that PayPal should be used for receiving small amounts only. If my customer offers to pay by cheque, PayPal or Moneybookers, and the amount to be invoiced is rather large, would you prefer get paid by cheque than by PayPal? Do you use different payment methods for different invoices (with the same customer) depending on, say, the amount to be invoiced?

Thanks again! You are very helpful!

I've had at least 4 checks stolen from the US mail, but haven't lost anything using PayPal.

With PayPal, you have the payment within seconds, so they can't say "I sent it, you should receive it in a few days" (though I had a client who didn't understand PayPal try to pull this once) or the classic "Checks in the mail" excuse.

I use a message center (Ureach.com) which pops up a notice on my screen when I get a message, so it pops up whenever I get a PayPal payment. You can do something similar with your mail program notifying you when you get new mail from PayPal.

I also haven't had a problem with large payments in PayPal. I think the concern should not be the size of the payment, but the size of the balance you keep in your PayPal account. If you get a large payment, just withdraw it to your bank account.

US PayPal accounts can get PayPal debit cards (maybe other countries too, I'm not sure) so when they receive a payment, they can go to any cash machine and get the cash immediately.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I receive payments via PayPal? (which steps to follow?)

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search