Mobile menu

Off topic: Isn't each Indian multilingual !
Thread poster: Ruchira Shukla
Ruchira Shukla
Local time: 21:07
English to Japanese
+ ...
Aug 13, 2004

India’s national language is Hindi. Besides that we learn English right from grade one. All the subjects are taught in either English or Hindi depending on the kind of school you go to.
But right from grade one each child is taught two languages simultaneously, Hindi and English.
Besides that India has more than 15 regional languages. Each Indian state has a different language. Such as Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, Oriya, Bengali, Gujurati etc. Besides learning Hindi and English, every child picks up the regional language as well .. since that’s the one usually spoken at home.
For example. I belong to the state of Punjab, and since punjabi is spoken at home I picked that up besides off course learning English and Hindi.

When ever two Indians get together the medium of communication is always Hindi and English since they might not belong to the same state and hence may not understand each others regional language.
So I guess that make each Indian Multilingual !!
Just a thought !

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-08-13 14:46]

Direct link Reply with quote

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Most of the Indians are multilingual right from their childhood... Aug 13, 2004

because they spontaneously learn their mother-tongue. Hindi is our national language and is taught in schools from the very beginning thorughout India, barring one State, I think. Hindi serves as a link among most of the people. And English, as you said, is also taught in most of the schools from Standard I. So, we generally inculcate three languages.

Eva T
English to Albanian
+ ...
Well, lucky you Aug 13, 2004

That probably explains why most Indians (From India) are so smart and do well, especially when they go to countries with a lot more opportiunities (such as U.K., Germany, U.S.A. etc.)

Local time: 08:37
English to French
+ ...
So are a lot of Africans Aug 13, 2004

If you take former Zaïre, most people speak lingala, swahili and French.
In Côte d'Ivoire, they speak their own language(s), Bambala (the language spoken in open-air markets) and French.
This whole business of nation-states, borders etc. is fairly recent and doesn't always make sense...
It certainly doesn't make sense in multi-ethnic countries, or for us multi-cultural people.

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:37
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Or maybe even four languages? Aug 13, 2004

Local language/dialect, regional language, Hindi, English, right? That is what my friend from Mumbai grew up speaking (I believe they're originally from a village, not Mumbai).

PRAKAASH  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to Hindi
+ ...
India is a country of variety of languages, cultures, societies etc. Aug 14, 2004

Dear Prozians,
Yes, It's always taught in India, that despite of variety in cultures, languages, dresses and other aspects, we Indians are always are always one and the same.
Fortunately,15th August is the day of Independence for India and a reason to celebrate.So, three cheers to my countrymen who are living in or outside of India.
Moreover, I can understand more than 10 Indian languages. So, you can understand the richness of Indians regarding languages and knowledge of ideas/thoughts in various societies.

Best Regards!
(Freelance Translator of English, Hindi, Nepali and Sanskrit to four of the same)
+977 56 530738

Local time: 17:37
German to French
+ ...
In India normal, in Europe special Aug 18, 2004

Moreover, I can understand more than 10 Indian languages. So, you can understand the richness of Indians regarding languages and knowledge of ideas/thoughts in various societies.

Why is a multilingual childhood in India normal, while it is something very special here in Europe, people are starring at you if you speak another language to your dad than to your mum, or another language with them than the language which is spoken around?
Everybody seems to fear that two languages at the same time could be too much for the poor kids... Sometimes it is too much indeed, but why? Maybe because we do not have enough confidence.

I also had a multilingual childhood, can speak and understand different languages but I am not really "at home" in any of them. Why?

It is time that we learn to know India, not only the (excellent!) food and the people coming to us with a green card because the know much more about computers than we do, but the culture!

I am sure that in a couple of years there will be more exchange programmes between European and Indian universities. Which will not mean than Indian students come to Europe, but that European students are glad to get the opportunity to study in Bangalore for example!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Isn't each Indian multilingual !

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs