Boost your career as a professional translator!

Boost your career as a professional translator! SDL hosts a virtual conference featuring a selection of free resources to help grow your freelance business, as well as an update on the new features of the world’s most trusted translation software - SDL Trados Studio 2017

Click for Full Participation

Suitable TV for kids
Thread poster: Milos Prudek

Milos Prudek  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 18:55
English to Czech
+ ...
Oct 10, 2004

I am an enemy of TV. But I am raising a bilingual toddler (18 months old) in a completely Czech environment, and I'm the only one who speaks English to him. And I'm a Czech native. Not sustainable in the long term. I need TV in English.

I chose CBeebies - a BBC channel. But I'd need to spend over 600 Euro on a huge satellite dish to be able to receive it at home.

The only other free channel is POP and TINY POP. A satellite dish for that would cost 156 Euro.

Someone who can watch both CBeebies and POP/TINY POP please tell me: is POP/TINY POP any good compared to CBeebies? Does it have a lot of advertising for kids compared to Cbeebies?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:55
French to English
+ ...
Not sure but... Oct 10, 2004

CBeebies shouldn't have ANY advertising, as it is produced by the BBC, and is not a commercial channel.

xxxsarahl
Local time: 09:55
English to French
+ ...
alternative to TV Oct 10, 2004

Have you considered DVDs?
You can probably order cartoon DVDs on line.
HTH

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
DVDs and videos Oct 10, 2004

Another option instead of satellite TV is to acquire a collection of English-language movies and/or television shows. For your purposes it is an advantage that your child can watch the same thing over and over again. At a young age, children like that; they often enjoy familiarity over variety, and the repetition helps them to learn.

We kept our children's Spanish in Canada with a set of Disney animated classics that was as complete as we could make it.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but I'd still rather have sat tv Oct 10, 2004

GoodWords wrote:

Another option instead of satellite TV is to acquire a collection of English-language movies and/or television shows. For your purposes it is an advantage that your child can watch the same thing over and over again.

That\'s a good point actually. Thank you. But:

I do not know where I could buy a TV show recording. And it would soon get very expensive to collect DVDs. And I will install a very capable computer-based auto-recording system with my satellite TV, so TV shows repetition will not be a problem.

And TV will help Daddy (me) keep his language skills in shape. I do not like repetition

Berni Armstrong  Identity Verified
English
+ ...
Long live Cbeebies! Oct 10, 2004

My daughter Jana has had cbeebies for the last two years. And it shows! Although Mum strictly controls her TV watching(*), even the small input she has had from the channel has had an amazing influence on her English. She often surprises me with a word I didn't know she knew - and it turns out she learned it from a Cbeebies show.

Now - at nearly six - she has outgrown many of the "baby shows" - like Fimbles. But she still enjoys Big Cook, Little Cook, Postman Pat and a host of the others.

Now the problem is that there seems to be no channel aimed at the six to ten year olds. CBBC seems to be full of teenage angst shows...

If you do invest in your big dish, remember that along with Cbeebies come FOUR BBC adult channels and these are generally good and the documentaries on 3& 4 are excellent.

I'd recommend CBeebies to anyone with a young child who wants native English input.

Cheers,

Berni

(*)I am far more liberal on the issue as I was brought up on TV and think it helped round out my interest in the world - Mum is of the TV = Evil Box school

luka
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Video tapes from the UK? Oct 11, 2004

We have the same kind of problem here in Spain. To watch the BBC would be expensive and it requires a 1,20m satellite dish, not to forget the need to have an UK address.

Our children, 3 and 6 years old, have grown up watching DVDs and videos in English, but as you prefer the TV, why don't ask somebody in the UK to tape the programs and have them sent to you, for example, once a month? That way you would have the benefit of repetition if your child wants to see the cartoons more than once and the benefit of "novelty".

Just an idea

English
+ ...
No need for a UK address! Oct 11, 2004

If you can receive the BBC signal and decode it with a digibox, then it is totally free to air - so you do not need to pay anything to receive it.

It has a limited footprint though. I receive it here in Catalunya at 65% strength with a One Metre Ten dish (disappears in rainy conditions).

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea / original question not answered Oct 11, 2004

luka wrote:
why don\'t ask somebody in the UK to tape the programs and have them sent to you, for example, once a month?

Unfortunately, currently I do not know anyone in the U.K.

A good idea though. Thank you.

My original question was a comparison of CBeebies and POP/Tiny Pop channels. I appreciate any alternative proposals and also a confirmation of my guess that Cbeebies is a good programme, but it\'s a pity no one could address my original question - the comparison yet.

English
+ ...
Sorry Milos.... Oct 12, 2004

I guess the others who answered - like me - have never seen Pop or Tiny pop. But I can assure you that I did see Sky's Kid's package over the summer and I was apalled at the sheer brain numbing number of adverts there were every few minutes. Plus I was dismayed to note that whereas on Cbeebies you will very rarely see an act of even comic violence, NICK Jr and the other channels were full of Cartoons depicting so called super heroes slaughtering villains and their henchmen.

Our kids will see enough violence on the news without having it presented as entertainment.

Good luck in your search,
Cheers,
Berni

luka
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Where do you get the digibox Oct 13, 2004

[quote]Berni Armstrong wrote:

If you can receive the BBC signal and decode it with a digibox, then it is totally free to air - so you do not need to pay anything to receive it.

Dear Berni

How and where did you get the digibox (I assume it is a decodifier of some sort). I know my husband would be thrilled to bits if he coould watch the BBC in Spain and yes, the children's programmes are the best ones. Thanks

English
+ ...
At Champion Oct 13, 2004

luka wrote:
How and where did you get the digibox

It was available as a package in our local Champion Superstore. Antenna, connections and "free to air" digibox about 160 Euro!
(I assume it is a decodifier of some sort)
That's right. You then have to aim your dish at the right satellite. See BBC website for details (ignore information on terrestial digital!). And then tune in your digibox - which once it has found the satellite - should be virtually automatic.

If you manage to get one write me again here for details and I will give you the satellite name and frequencies, etc. I would need to put it on to give it to you now and I am not in that room - OK?

Good luck and happy watching.

Berni

PS Where are you in Spain? The footprint is already pretty weak in BCN on a 90cm dish. You might need to get a bigger one.

luka
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you Berni Oct 14, 2004

Thank you very much for all the information. We are going to get one and we will tell you if we need more help.

We live in Madrid, so most probabbly we will need a 1,20, dish.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
satellite reception Oct 14, 2004

[quote]luka wrote:

How and where did you get the digibox (I assume it is a decodifier of some sort).

A 'digibox' is simply a digital satellite receiver. It has the same shape as any typical hifi box. It is an interface between a satellite dish and regular TV. This means that a cable goes from satellite dish to this 'digibox', and then the cable goes from the digibox to your TV set.

This interfacing is what Berni (correctly) calls "decoding". If you wanted to watch commercial, scrambled (encrypted) signals, you would need a tad pricier digital satellite receiver with a so called 'CAM slot'. Such slot with a properly purchased decryption card would let you watch encrypted commercial TV, i.e. recent movies or sports with no advertisements.

BBC does not encrypt it's signal.

Your best bet is to go to an electronics shop, and hire a technician, who will install a suitable digital satellite receiver and satellite dish for you.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Suitable TV for kids

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums