https://www.proz.com/forum/multilingual_families/28507-update_on_3_yr_old_son_being_raised_with_4_languages.html

Update on 3 yr. old son being raised with 4 languages
Thread poster: mbph
mbph
mbph
Local time: 12:50
English to Spanish
Jan 18, 2005

I wanted to say thank you to Andrea Ckarke for her post and give you guys (who were so incredibly helpful a few months ago) an update on Nico.

I didn't change a thing as most of you suggested (kept speaking to him in Spanish and daddy in high German. Then he's been getting English and Swiss German from a bilingual pre-school (and we speak english to him sometimes too).

4 1/2 months later (after my first post) I have to say that he is doing REALLY GREAT!!!! He's talks
... See more
I wanted to say thank you to Andrea Ckarke for her post and give you guys (who were so incredibly helpful a few months ago) an update on Nico.

I didn't change a thing as most of you suggested (kept speaking to him in Spanish and daddy in high German. Then he's been getting English and Swiss German from a bilingual pre-school (and we speak english to him sometimes too).

4 1/2 months later (after my first post) I have to say that he is doing REALLY GREAT!!!! He's talks a ton. Other children his age I think speak a little more or the same (stopped paying attention to this so I really don't know). He really is speaking a ton in all of the languages. They placed him in the big group (3/12-5 yrs) after 1 week of school (back in Sept) b/c his teachers said that mentally he belonged with the bigger kids.

Regarding Swiss, he started speaking Swiss at school (although he perefers high German) and his teachers said that he understands everything in Swiss.

He's constantly asking "porque, why, warum"....you name it. He loves to talk and repeat anything and everything you say. Best of all, he started rolling his "r's" 3 months ago (I have to say....that was a very proud moment for me hee hee

So thank you all for your advice. I'm glad I didn't cave in and listen to any of teh grandparents or other ignorant people who tried giving me advice on this matter. Nico would have stopped speaking Spanish by now if i would have listened to the wrong person.

Again, mil gracias!!!! You guys are great!

All the best,
Maria
Switzerland
Raising with Spanish, English, high German, and Swiss German: Nico (40 months and Kai 14 months)
Collapse

Laura Vinti
Laura Vinti  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:50
German to Italian
+ ...
envious about the rolled R's... Jan 19, 2005

Sounds great...!
My daughter (5 1/2) speaks 'only' 2 languages (German and Italian) but I can't manage to teach her the rolled R's...
How did you manage to do that?
Any tips on how to teach a kid to roll his/her (Italian) R's?

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
rolling R's Jan 19, 2005

Laura Vinti wrote:

Sounds great...!
My daughter (5 1/2) speaks 'only' 2 languages (German and Italian) but I can't manage to teach her the rolled R's...
How did you manage to do that?
Any tips on how to teach a kid to roll his/her (Italian) R's?

My 2 kids (bilingual German/Italian, living in Italy, so with plenty of rolled R's all around them) also speak with the German R in both German and Italian. But it's no big deal, as their Italian/Italian cousins from Piacenza also pronounce the R in a similar way (maybe their R sounds more French than German)

Roberta

mbph
mbph
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
rolled "r''s Jan 19, 2005

No....I didn't do anything. Basically I would make him repeat things like "carro", "perro" and he couldn't roll them. One day all of a sudden he was rolling his "r"'s. It will happen in time. You'll see!

Maria

luka
luka
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Congratulations! Jan 19, 2005

Wow, I'm impressed. Your son must be a very clever little boy. I am glad you kept all the languages. My case is not as impressive as yours (Spanish mum, English dad living in Spain), but my husband and me have always thought is not only an asset for our children ti be able to speak English, BUT A RIGHT to be able to communicate with their English family and know half of their culture. We like to think that qe are raising our children billingual and bicultural.

Best of luck

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Update on 3 yr. old son being raised with 4 languages

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »