Natalia Elo
Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:03
English to Russian
+ ...
Jan 24, 2005

Dear everyone,

I wonder if there is anyone around from Munich. Let me explain.

We are planning to move there next summer, (well actually papa is already working there while mama with children is still in Berlin). We were told and this seems to be true that the main problem going to be finding an appartment. It seems so impossible that I decided to start solving this problem from other point of view.

I looked up for bilingual schools and kindergardens in
... See more
Dear everyone,

I wonder if there is anyone around from Munich. Let me explain.

We are planning to move there next summer, (well actually papa is already working there while mama with children is still in Berlin). We were told and this seems to be true that the main problem going to be finding an appartment. It seems so impossible that I decided to start solving this problem from other point of view.

I looked up for bilingual schools and kindergardens in Munich. The reason to that is while we are speaking to children in our mother tongues (papa German, mama Russian) we're using English to talk to each other. So inevitably our younger one will learn it as well. The older one is speaking English due to the fact I spend half a year in England three years ago with him and tried to maintain the language since then.

However I would really like to have English input from a native speaker.

I found in Internet a list of bilingual schools in Munich. There was even one Montessori school with English. That probably would be the best solution for us, as my older son is going to Montessori school here in Berlin and so far I was more or less satisfied with it.

International schools unfortunately have to be excluded for the simple reason that we can't afford it:(

Does anoyne have an experience from these schools? Please tell me here or in private Any advice would be warmly welcomed.

Natalia
Mom to Pasi, 9, and Titus, 1,
ML German, ml Russian, Finnish, English.
Collapse

TTilch
TTilch  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Europäische Schule Jan 27, 2005

Dear Natalia,

There are several Kindergärten that do also offer English. Apart from that, there is the Europäische Schule in München-Neuperlach, but it might be that it is only for children of 12 or older.

I do not have any personal experience with these Kindergärten or this school, but I am sure that you will find something suitable. Munich is a very international city.

Best regards,

Tanja

Natalia Elo
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
At last ! Jan 27, 2005

Dear Tanja,

I nearly lost the hope that somebody will read it. Thank you! I hope your reply will encourage others.

Munich is a very international city.

Yes, this is the impression, what I've got when visited Munich last Christmas.

Best regards
Natalia

bozhana
bozhana  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:03
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
English in Germany Feb 2, 2005

Dear Natalia,
I can't believe I haven't seen that forum. That has ben my favorite topic for years. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the schools in Munich but I'd like to share my experience. May be it will help. My children speak 4 languages and now the attitide at home is "Oh, it's just a language!" but that is now. 12 years ago we moved to the States. They both started school there and my main concern was that they would forget Bulgarian. I was always speaking Bulgarian to them
... See more
Dear Natalia,
I can't believe I haven't seen that forum. That has ben my favorite topic for years. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the schools in Munich but I'd like to share my experience. May be it will help. My children speak 4 languages and now the attitide at home is "Oh, it's just a language!" but that is now. 12 years ago we moved to the States. They both started school there and my main concern was that they would forget Bulgarian. I was always speaking Bulgarian to them, reading them books in Bg and so on. I guess, at that age ( 3 and 5), they acquire most of their vocabulary from the environment because no matter what I did they did forget it! A sentence in Bulgarian consisted of mainly English words with BG endings. So we took them back to Bg for a year to study at a Bg school. I would translate all the textbooks to English because they had the concepts but didn't know the words. My daughter was only seven years old and she realized that some of the sounds are completely different from the Eg ones. Anyway, after a year, my husband got a job in Germany so we all moved there. We put them in a German school and after a year their German was great! They didn't forget Bg but they forgot English. My daughter couldn't say a sentence in English. But after that first year, since many of the teachers and most of our friends were speaking English it was OK. Bulgarian was never a problem any more. Neither was English. Two years ago we moved to Canada and they had to go to French schools (not knowing a word of French). It was difficult but having in mind that it is only a language after six months they got in the regular classes and that's it.What I am trying to say is that I believe any exposure to the language matters at that age . I know many people who speak a language because their mother used it. And if I were you I would't worry too much about English. I believe in Germany there is a gteat tradition ot teaching English and a good one too. All the best, Bozhana
Collapse

Natalia Elo
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Feb 3, 2005

Dear Bozhana,

Welcome to ProZ.com and thank you for sharing your story and your warm words.

Many people seem to take it for granted when children speak few langauges, but frankly speaking sometimes it's a like full-time job to maintain them.

All the best to you and your family
Natalia

Jana Kohl
Jana Kohl  Identity Verified
Germany
Russian to German
+ ...
European Schools Feb 9, 2005

> from that, there is the Europäische Schule
> in München-Neuperlach, but it might be that
> it is only for children of 12 or older.

Dear Natalia,

I can't help you with info about bilingual schools in Munich, but I know the European School system, because our children (German mother tongue) are growing up in Oxford and attend the European School Culham. The ES have a primary (including Nursery/Vorschule) and secondary school. There is no Russian section
... See more
> from that, there is the Europäische Schule
> in München-Neuperlach, but it might be that
> it is only for children of 12 or older.

Dear Natalia,

I can't help you with info about bilingual schools in Munich, but I know the European School system, because our children (German mother tongue) are growing up in Oxford and attend the European School Culham. The ES have a primary (including Nursery/Vorschule) and secondary school. There is no Russian section and the English section will probably be oversubscribed. Have a look at the ES website http://www.eursc.org/, I'm sure they will send you their prospectus for more information.

Our son finished last year with the European Baccalaureate which is a well recognised exam - he was able to apply to UK as well as German universities and decided in the end for a course at a Berufsakademie in Germany.

Good luck with the move,
Jana
Russian, English>German
1 Curtis Road, Oxford, OX5 2DF, UK
+44 (0) 1865 - 847 259
[email protected]
http://www.dolmetscher.co.uk
Collapse

Natalia Elo
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Eligibility Feb 9, 2005

Dear Jana,

Thank you for your reply and the link. Is there, in your opinion, any particular reason we can refer to in order to apply for a place in the European School? After Finland, where all schools are more or less of the same level, I have the feeling here in Germany, that, you know, we're all equal, but some of us are more equal than others. As far as I understood after living here one year choosing the right school is crucial for the future. After all the European School see
... See more
Dear Jana,

Thank you for your reply and the link. Is there, in your opinion, any particular reason we can refer to in order to apply for a place in the European School? After Finland, where all schools are more or less of the same level, I have the feeling here in Germany, that, you know, we're all equal, but some of us are more equal than others. As far as I understood after living here one year choosing the right school is crucial for the future. After all the European School seems to be cheaper than Bavarian International School.

Did you children get the place just on the basis that they speak German?

Natalia
Collapse

Andrew D
Andrew D
English to German
+ ...
Admmission depending on the length of stay, interview etc. Jun 23, 2005

Did you children get the place just on the basis that they speak German?

I am afraid not, having gont to the Waldorf School ages ago which is admittedly not bilingual but teaches english and french from the first/second school year on I know that you have to have apply in good time and if the children are supposed to stay there for a prolonged time, i.e. one or more terms than it might get difficult to get a place without the usual addmission half till a year in advance, and also than they have so many applicants that not even all children that have been to a Waldorf Kindergarten get a place, even if there are 4 Waldorfschools there now.

And yes, getting the right flat or house is more difficult than else where, but having grown up there, this was not really a subject as one doesn't change houses there so often.

Some bigger companies have subsidized flats for their emploies, but like the Staatbediensten Wohnungen of the state employed also they would most likely have a waiting list.

Many greeting s and good luck

Andrew

muenchner (X)
muenchner (X)
English to German
+ ...
Bilingual Kindergartens and Schools in Munich Dec 6, 2007

Dear Natalia,

though this topic seems to be a little outdated and your problem should be long solved by now (at least I certainly hope so), there's a few hints I'd like to share with you, maybe others facing similar problems will find those helpful:

For younger children — as Titus is — there's a couple of options. Goo
... See more
Dear Natalia,

though this topic seems to be a little outdated and your problem should be long solved by now (at least I certainly hope so), there's a few hints I'd like to share with you, maybe others facing similar problems will find those helpful:

For younger children — as Titus is — there's a couple of options. Googling «Bilingual Kindergarten Munich» gives you some starting points.

From my personal experience, I can recommend Kinderhaus Laterne a lot. They have a bilingual kindergarten offering german–english and german–french groups, and are located in South Munich.

As for schools, google, as usual, is your best buddy. One special hint from me would be the Phorms School dependancy that recently opened in munich.

Hope that I've been helpful in some way

Kind regards,
Muenchner

[Edited at 2007-12-06 23:05]
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Bilingual schools in Munich

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »