https://www.proz.com/forum/multilingual_families/72254-let_sleeping_beauties_lie.html

let sleeping beauties lie
Thread poster: Djidji74
Djidji74
Djidji74
Local time: 07:42
Arabic to English
+ ...
May 6, 2007

Hi,
Does anyone know if the fairy tale "let sleeping beauties lie" is translated into Arabic language or nt yet.
I would appreciate your reply.
Thank you.

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Do you mean... May 6, 2007

Djidji74 wrote:

Hi,
Does anyone know if the fairy tale "let sleeping beauties lie" is translated into Arabic language or nt yet.
Thank you.

... the fairy tale, "Sleeping Beauty"?

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Sleeping Beauty May 6, 2007

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

Djidji74 wrote:

Hi,
Thank you.

... the fairy tale, "Sleeping Beauty"?

The fairy tale is called "Sleeping Beauty" in English, if that is the story you mean. Actually, a mistranslation of the Contes de Perrault title "La Belle au Bois Dormant" which in fact means "The Beauty in the Sleeping Wood" - i.e. it's the wood that's sleeping, not the beauty - but in the story both the beauty, the wood and everything in the palace is sleeping until the handsome prince finally arrives.
Has it been translated into Arabic? I don't know.
Regards,
Jenny.

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Sleeping Beauty? Yes May 6, 2007

Judging by your recent Kudoz question http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1901236 , "Let sleeping beauties lie" is a text/essay/book on the difficulties of revisioning the Tale (I assume the tale is "Sleeping Beauty".

So did you mean to ask if "Sleeping Beauty" has been translated into Arabic? If so, the answer is definitely yes, and I am sure there are several versions. In Arabic the tale is commonl
... See more
Judging by your recent Kudoz question http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1901236 , "Let sleeping beauties lie" is a text/essay/book on the difficulties of revisioning the Tale (I assume the tale is "Sleeping Beauty".

So did you mean to ask if "Sleeping Beauty" has been translated into Arabic? If so, the answer is definitely yes, and I am sure there are several versions. In Arabic the tale is commonly known as
الجمال النائم
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 02:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
Let sleeping dogs lie. May 6, 2007

"Let sleeping dogs lie" is a proverb in English meaning "Don't stir up trouble." Apparently someone blended this expression with "Sleeping Beauty" to make the clever title Nesrin mentions.

Jane

Djidji74
Djidji74
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your reply May 9, 2007

I would like to thank everyone who contributed in developing this exclusive topic on Sleeping Beauties.
Your views are previous for me.

Aurélie DANIEL
Aurélie DANIEL  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:42
English to French
+ ...
La Belle au Bois dormant May 11, 2007

If I may, the title actually means "the Beauty sleeping in the Wood". The grammatical construction in the French title is somewhat archaic (The Beauty in the Wood sleeping).

When Beauty falls asleep for a hundred years, the young fairy who protects her comes to the castle and touches all the servants with her magic wand so that they fall asleep as well and will wake up when the princess does, all ready to attend to her needs when the time comes.
To keep anyone from disturbing
... See more
If I may, the title actually means "the Beauty sleeping in the Wood". The grammatical construction in the French title is somewhat archaic (The Beauty in the Wood sleeping).

When Beauty falls asleep for a hundred years, the young fairy who protects her comes to the castle and touches all the servants with her magic wand so that they fall asleep as well and will wake up when the princess does, all ready to attend to her needs when the time comes.
To keep anyone from disturbing the princess and her court, the fairy also grows an impenetrable curtain of trees and brambles, so thick and so high that the castle remains hidden from view except for the top of the highest tower.

Hence the wood!
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

let sleeping beauties lie

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »