ISPs in Norway?
Thread poster: Evi Zierlein

Evi Zierlein
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:20
English to German
+ ...
Jun 11, 2003

First of all sorry for writing in English but unfortunately I don't speak Norwegian ... at least not yet.
I might have to work from Norway for a certain amount of time and am looking into subscribing to an internet service provider. As the area where I'll be staying is not connected to broadband a normal dial-up will do.
Can anyone recommend a reliable ISP which offers monthly fees as opposed to per minute charges used by Telenor?
Thanks a lot for your help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Geir Vikan  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 18:20
Member (2003)
German to Norwegian
+ ...
ISP in norway Jun 11, 2003

Difficult - I do not think you will find anyone offering monthly charges on dialup services. Telenor is still (for all practical purposes)in momopoly in this area. I would consider an ADSL connection. You need to pay the basic (fixed) phone charges from Telenor, and you order an ADSL connectin running on the phone line. Speed close to 1MB, fixed monthly charge(less than 50£), no limit on volume.
See www.nextgentel.no

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 18:20
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Telenor Jun 11, 2003

If you plan to live outside the city, where ADSL is not possible:

It is possible to pay 500 NOK incl. VAT to "surf" for 150 hours/month. That's five hours a day, and might cover your needs. If you exceed the limit a low (0.095 NOK) per minute rate apply. There are no charge per dial up using this scheme.

You will need to pay subscribtion (Telenor Internet Basic) to get this offer. This will cost 98.- NOK per month, or a special pay up front for a year discount.

So, with a total of 600 NOK a month you will have what you are looking for. Here is a summary http://privat.telenor.no/dinesider/default.aspx?a=goOnlineInternettAbonnement

[Edited at 2003-06-11 20:27]

Evi Zierlein
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:20
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 12, 2003

Thank you very much for all your info, it was very much appreciated. Will go for the 150hrs option then.

PS: and I thought only beer was (much) more expensive in Norway than in the UK

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

ISPs in Norway?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs