Mobile menu

"Scouse" from Norwegian???
Thread poster: Nina Spencer

Nina Spencer  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:29
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Jan 9, 2008

So it says here!!! ("Scouse" being somebody from Liverpool)

"...the word Scouse was originally a variation of "lobscouse", the name of a traditional dish of Scouse made with lamb stew mixed with hardtack eaten by sailors. The word "lobscouse" may be of Norwegian origin ("lapskaus" in Norwegian)..."

For more see:

PS My mum made the best "lapskaus" ever!!!!!

Direct link Reply with quote

brigidm  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:29
Norwegian to English
well, well, you learn something new every day, as they say... Jan 9, 2008

I say you're getting another one of your "homesick periods", Nina! Happy New Year, BTW.

Lars Finsen
English to Norwegian
+ ...
fancy title Jan 9, 2008

I'm afraid it's the other way around. The origin of the lobscouse name is probably "lumpy course" in my opinion, but other English dialect words may be involved as well, see the Wikipedia article on Scouse: It must have been borrowed into the Nordic languages like so much of English sailor's terminology.

That sites like refer to it as a loan from north German is a little strange. The misconception seems to have spread from them. The source of their information seems to be Wikipedia, but the Wikipedia article on Scouse today is better presented.

Should like to know how your mum made her lapskaus!
My grandmother made it with beef, onion, leeks, carrots and potatoes. Simple, but nice. I still make it for myself now and then.

[Edited at 2008-01-09 17:46]

Suzanne Blangsted  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:29
Danish to English
+ ...
labskovs Jan 9, 2008

Thanks for bring that up. I haven't heard that word since I lived at home way back when. Actually forgot about it. My mother was an excellent cook and made anything and everything taste great. Labskovs, yes indeed - stew.

[Edited at 2008-01-09 17:30]

Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
+ ...
Scouse Jan 9, 2008

And the Norwegian Wikipedia article too... and a recipe with more/different info about where it comes from... confusing stuff this!

I recall a family friend - a genuine Scouser - who just called this Scouse (you have to imagine the thick Liverpudlian accent).

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

"Scouse" from Norwegian???

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs