Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Off topic: What kind of people's behavior annoys you the most?
Thread poster: Gianni Pastore

Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:22
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Mar 25, 2008

Cinema goers drive me nuts. Can't they just stay put on their bl**ding chairs and enjoy the movie? Of course not. They must chew popcorn like there's no tomorrow, sipping noisely from huge paper glasses, chit-chatting about anything (ever notice the one who feel the urge to tell his/her partner what he/she might have missed from one given scene?) or pushing mobile phones keys like mad (keypad volume=ON full blast) whilst the blue glow from the phone screen makes their face looks like one of the Monster&Co character. Grrrrrrrr!!!! Go on folks, spit it out

Direct link Reply with quote

Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
Those who clap their hands... Mar 25, 2008

... at the end of a flight or, even worse, of a funeral Nothing else comes to my mind right now, but I'll come back later

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:22
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Cell phone users everywhere Mar 25, 2008

Cell phone users in public places - trains, stores, restaurants etc. - who speak so loud that everyone is forced to listen in on the conversation.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:22
English to French
+ ...
This is my favorite human behavour pet peeve Mar 25, 2008

Tina Vonhof wrote:

Cell phone users in public places - trains, stores, restaurants etc. - who speak so loud that everyone is forced to listen in on the conversation.

Other than that, there are many, but people being ignorant takes the cake for me. You know, people acting like they know you when they don't, people who assume what you're like based on your name, the colour of your skin, your accent... Also, people who have no sense of respect. Last time I went to McDonald's, this guy was sitting with his buddies, burping loudly and laughing at the serious faces people were making, knowing that the burping was ticking them off even though they weren't showing it. People with no savoir-vivre, in general. This includes cell phone users who seem to feel that their conversation is everybody else's business.

P.S.: Also, smelly people. Yeah, people who smell bad. I don't expect that everybody has the same sense of hygiene I do, but they could at least not frequent crowded places like buses in rush hour when they haven't taken a shower in a week. Your bad smell really can tick people off, you know!

Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
French to English
cell phone users Mar 25, 2008

Especially the ones who stop dead in a public doorway or on a staircase to make their calls. Also the ones who blow through pedestrian lights because they are on the phone and almost hit me. Especially them I guess. As for smelly people, I don't encounter too many, happily. My other job is as a personal trainer, so I guess I am lucky to have considerate clients. There was one guy on a plane, but he was on standby and ended up being kicked off.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:22
Swedish to English
+ ...
I-pod/MP3-player Mar 25, 2008

We're thankfully spared loud mobile phone users on the London tube, but hell to me is finding the last free seat in the carriage and, on sitting down, noticing that both my "neighbours" are in their own musical heavens. Sadly enough, these heavens never correspond. So I get "doka duh dum" on my left, and "doh dum duhka" on my right.

Now, why did I decide returning to full-time (office) work was a good idea...

[Edited at 2008-03-25 23:12]

[Edited at 2008-03-25 23:13]

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Cows Mar 26, 2008

I don't like cows, i.e. people chewing gum like there's no tomorrow, making sure everyone knows they are chewing gum by making as much noise as possible.

Another annoyance on my list is people who must be bathing in perfume/cologne because the smell is so strong. Many odors trigger very painful migraines for me, so it 's really annoying

And the people who listen to their MP3 player with the sound so loud that I can hear all the lyrics perfectly even when sitting at the other end of the train cabin. Ugh.

Lastly: mobile phones users, of course. I don't care what you have to say, I don't want to hear what you did last evening, what you ate for breakfast and if your cat broke a nail!

Ahhhhh thanks for the venting opportunity!

[Edited at 2008-03-26 07:51]

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Marie-Claude, you're my pet-hate twin Mar 26, 2008

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

I don't like cows, i.e. people chewing gum like there's no tomorrow, making sure everyone knows they are chewing gum by making as much noise as possible.

Another annoyance on my list is people who must be bathing in perfume/cologne because the smell is so strong. Many odors trigger very painful migraines for me, so it 's really annoying

I'd actually rather sit next to someone with BO than someone drenched in a sweet, overpowering perfume - the BO is annoying but unless it's really bad it doesn't actually make me feel sick or give me a headache, which perfume does.

As for cows... well, there's a fair few of them in Rome. I wish they'd watch themselves in the mirror once in a while, to see how ugly they're making themselves look as they chew away with their mouths wide open (I've got nothing against people chewing gum, I do it myself, but can't they be discreet about it?)

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Let him who is without... Mar 26, 2008

Ahhh, interesting that cell phones bug every one and yet we all have them.

I actually find cell phone users amusing - like, 90% of opening lines are "Where are you?" Or the consulting aspects of mobile telephony - like a guy standing there, totally lost in a super market trying to follow his wife's instructions about buying... whatever.

My personal pet peeve are drivers - forcing their way in, cutting me off, pulling out of a side street 10 feet in front of me etc. etc. And anybody on a Kawasaki Ninja (or similar) pulling a wheelie on a green light.
It takes me 5 minutes afterwards to calm down after thinking nasty thoughts of grievious bodily harm.

Pawel Skalinski

sylvie malich
Germany
German to English
People who bring their burning cigarette with them into the elevator Mar 26, 2008

... yeah, that's right. Encountered one again yesterday. Him with the arrogant look on his face coming out of a crowded elevator of too-polite-to-say-anything sufferers including an elderly lady and baby carriage.

We, my daughter and I, demonstratively held the elevator doors open and energetically waved the stink out before we got into the empty elevator.

Well, I've been told that smoking in Germany is supposed to be an expression of freedom, but who's freedom? This REALLY ticks me off.

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Burn Mar 26, 2008

waved the stink out

I usually say "something's burning in here, can you smell it?" I get about 25% success rate in getting the person to put out the cigarette.

P.A.S.

sylvie malich
Germany
German to English
Burn baby burn Mar 26, 2008

PAS wrote:
I usually say "something's burning in here, can you smell it?" I get about 25% success rate in getting the person to put out the cigarette.

(laughs) When I was (visibly) pregnant I protested when a guy with a burning cigarette in one hand and his daughter holding the other entered the elevator I was in. His defense? "Reg' dich ab! I'm not even smoking it!"
I stormed out of the elevator...

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
A self-critical appraisal Mar 26, 2008

Tina Vonhof wrote:

I guess we have not met yet, but next time I'm Canada, you'll hear from me.

Regards

Vito

George Rabel  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
People who do not use their turn signals and tailgaters Mar 26, 2008

Those bring my murderous instincts very close to the surface.

I absolutely despise people who drive their vehicle six inches away from the vehicle on front, especually when I am driving the vehicle on front.

Also, when I am waiting to enter a street from a driveway, and ther is a car coming who is going to turn into the same driveway, and the driver does not have the courtesy to turn on his/her turn signal to let me know they are going to be turning there so I can go.

Francesca Pesce  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Just a few examples Mar 26, 2008

What I really cannot stand is:

1) When I buy something in a shop and don't get the receipt (it is compulsory in Italy), so I have to stand still, staring and waiting until the shopkeeper understands I won't leave without it and prints the receipt making believe she had just forgotten something completely superfluous.

2) When I go to the doctor or am in hospital and the doctor/nurse treats you like you were a thing, instead of a person. Doesn't listen to you, doesn't believe you have the right to know what he/she is doing.

3) Use public transportation and see people getting nervous, clutching on their handbags as soon as a gypsy, rom or immigrant gets on.

4) Use public transportation and feel someone's hand or other parts of their body touching my backside.

5) It doesn't happen to me very often any more (thank god), but walking in the street and having men stare at you, whistling or making comments on your appearance. As if a woman wasn't waiting for anything better than having a man appreciate her looks.

6) Walking with my child (at the time a 3-year old boy) pushing a pram with a doll, and neighbours telling him that those were girls' toys.

I could go on some more with these examples, but I guess you got the picture...

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What kind of people's behavior annoys you the most?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs