Mobile menu

Off topic: How does one Select All in PDF?
Thread poster: NancyLynn

Local time: 03:13
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Apr 8, 2003

I\'ve read all your posts, and it all sounds good, but I can click and click to my heart\'s content, no text is highlighted, and the copy command remains greyed-out.

What am I missing?

Of course this only happens at the 11th hour...

I\'d really appreciate any tips or tricks you may have for me.

Direct link Reply with quote

Alfredo Gonzalez  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
try this Apr 8, 2003

go to the View menu, select Continuous - Facing

Now go to Edit, Select All

hope this helps

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:13
Dutch to English
+ ...
Apr 9, 2003

[Edited at 2004-06-16 04:57]

Local time: 08:13
French to English
Scan it Apr 9, 2003

There are various levels of protection that authors can apply to pdf files, including protection from copying and pasting.

You can however scan the file, but, to get properly flowing text that you can edit, it has to be top-of-the-range software, such as Omnipage. Cheaper programs will give you the text, but with hard returns at the end of each line, or, even worse, with each line of text in its own text box.

Guess how I learnt this !!

George Nathaniel
Local time: 12:43
English to German
+ ...
Copy protected Apr 9, 2003

As Marijke Singer says, copy protected PDF files do not allow \'Select All\' command to function. But a workaround may be possible by clicking on \'Copy to Clipboard\' (if not greyed) and pasting the text in the wordprocessor. The pasted text needs to be reformatted fully.

George Nathaniel

Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:13
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
make sure you use the correct tool Apr 9, 2003

I apologise if this may sound obvious: make sure that when you try clicking you have the correct tool selected: that\'s the black T with a little dotted square next to it.

To check whether the file is copy protected (which it most probablyy is, as already mentioned by others, if commands like Select All and Copy File to Clipboard stay grayed out), choose File > Document Security, then click on Display Settings. You\'ll get a list of what\'s allowed and what\'s not allowed on this document.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How does one Select All in PDF?

Advanced search

Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs