Off topic: Growing Jacaranda from seeds
Thread poster: Jenny Forbes

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:45
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Apr 8, 2008

Apologies for a subject entirely unconnected with translating.
I've just returned from a wonderful trip to Mexico where I picked up some Jacaranda seed pods from under a tree. I'd like to try to grow them (I live in West Cornwall, UK, which has a mild and usually frost-free climate). The pods are quite hard and leathery, just about covering the palm of my hand. I assume the seeds are inside the pods but am anxious not to damage them when trying to extract them.
Does anyone have any tips about how I should extract the seeds and plant them? Should I soak the pods in water, do you think? I'd start them off in a pot indoors, I assume.
Thanks in advance to any translator/gardeners out there.
Regards,
Jenny

Direct link Reply with quote

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Try the RHS? Apr 8, 2008

I'm no gardener but my wife is, and thinks highly of the Royal Horticultural Society's website at www.rhs.org.uk/ for advice on plant growing.

I was in Malawi for a few months a long time ago, and the jacaranda trees and flame trees stick in my memory as being really beautiful when in bloom.

De la Vera Cruz
Argentina
Local time: 16:45
English to Spanish
Not difficult... Apr 8, 2008

Hi Jenny. I used to live in a street full of jacaranda trees years ago, and the seeds used to fly to my balcony and jacarandas started to grow by themselves in pots (I mean, I didn´t even plant the seeds), so I guess it shouldn´t be that difficult. As I moved miles away, and the garden I had in my new house was not that big, I gave them away. The only person I remember having given one plant was my father and I think the plant didn´t survive, but because nobody took care of it... Don´t be afraid of opening the pods

Good luck!!

Verónica

Marta Bevanda  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:45
English to Italian
+ ...
some info Apr 9, 2008

Hi Jenny,

I'm no expert on Jacaranda trees, although I love anything green. Here's a couple of things I found on the web, I hope they'll prove useful - and I would definitely try the RHS, as Jack suggested. You could always try and send them an e-mail, I guess.

As the Jacaranda seed pod ripens on the tree the pod will open & split. It will not do so after it is gathered. There are about 50-100 seeds in the pod. Pods should be brown – not green. Even if the pod is not ripe you will probably get some germination.
When I first planted Jacaranda, I mistakenly planted the pod. The weather broke it down & I later noticed a bunch of sprouts in broken shell.
You could probably get a set of wire clippers & open the pod by carefully clipping the side.
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/seed/msg0316344626612.html

Jacaranda Mimosifolia Fact Sheet
http://www.hintsandthings.com/garden/jacaranda.htm

http://www.rhs.org.uk/index.asp

Good luck with this beautiful plant!
Marta

Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Jack, Verbobrun and Marta Apr 10, 2008

Thank you, all, for your suggestions.
I've looked at the RHS website which is, indeed, interesting, but I'd probably have to become a member to obtain detailed advice. I'll have a (delicate) bash at opening the pods with wire clippers and try planting the seeds - nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Merry gardening, now it's supposed to be spring.
Kind regards,
Jenny.

JoGoes
Portuguese to Dutch
+ ...
growing jacaranda Apr 12, 2008

For many years I tried to get seed from the flame tree (flamboyant) to grow and to no avail.
However I was once told to drop the seeds in a little bit of near-boiling water and leave them in it for 24 hours. I finally got 3 trees out of them. They probably wonder where the heck they are because even here in the Algarve they sort of feel out of place , I can tell.

Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Joe Goes Apr 13, 2008

JoGoes wrote:

For many years I tried to get seed from the flame tree (flamboyant) to grow and to no avail.
However I was once told to drop the seeds in a little bit of near-boiling water and leave them in it for 24 hours. I finally got 3 trees out of them. They probably wonder where the heck they are because even here in the Algarve they sort of feel out of place , I can tell.

Thanks for your suggestion - it sounds a little drastic, but maybe I'll try putting some of the seeds in near-boiling water and some not, and see what happens.
Good luck with your beautiful flame trees.
Best wishes,
Jenny

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Growing Jacaranda from seeds

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs