Mobile menu

Off topic: Shiv Kumar Batalvi (Punjabi Poet)
Thread poster: Ritu Bhanot

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:05
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
May 10, 2008

Hi,

Here are some beautiful moments with the famous Punjabi poet Shiv Kumar Batalvi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgpSHpATAIM
It is in Hindi with subtitles in English.

He died on 7th May 1973 at the age of 35.
ਜੌਬਨ ਰੁੱਤੇ ਜੋ ਕੋਈ ਮਰਦਾ, ਫੁਲ ਬਨੇ ਯਾਂ ਤਾਰਾ
ਜੌਬਨ ਰੁੱਤੇ ਆਸ਼ਕ ਮਰਦੇ,ਯਾਂ ਕੋਈ ਕਰਮਾਂ ਵਾਲਾ

Here's a report about him (in Punjabi):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8cTFdsoU54&NR=1

Here's some more information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batalvi
I've loved his poetry and hope some of you will like him too.

Interested in reading more by Batalavi? Here's a link where you can read his poems with english translation (no guarantee of quality):
http://www.apnaorg.com/suman/batalvi_poems.html

Enjoy,
Ritu

[Edited at 2008-05-10 18:49]

Direct link Reply with quote

Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Thank you May 10, 2008

Thank you, Ritu.

Caryl

Niraja Nanjundan  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:35
German to English
Will definitely try to read some of this May 11, 2008

Ritu Bhanot wrote:

Interested in reading more by Batalavi?

Yes. I'm increasingly more interested in regional language literature. Indian writers who write in English are getting quite boring and repetitive these days.

Of course, since I don't know Punjabi, I'll have to read the English translation.

Thanks for the link!

[Edited at 2008-05-11 01:51]

abufaraz
Pakistan
Local time: 11:05
English to Urdu
+ ...
A Genius of his era May 12, 2008

I am pleased to see you here after a long time Ritu, and this time for the introduction of a genius of Punjabi poetry. I got introduced to him for the first time through his famous Ghazal 'Maye nee Maye' rendered immortal by Nusrat Fateh Ali khan which always nourishes my soul whenever I listen to it. I have read most of his kalam posted at apnaorg in Shahmukhi script and I have no hesitation in saying that this young Punjabi achieved in his small age what the people with grey hair are unable to get.

Thanks for posting the links, although I am unable to enjoy the ones from 'youtube'. But the material at Wikipedia is very informative.

Regards,

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Genius without doubt May 12, 2008

Niraja:

Thanks, I hope that you'll like it.

BTW quite a few of his poems have been sung by Jagjit Singh.

Asghar:

I agree he was a genius. Imagine someone who was not so educated given that he had only studied till 10th standard (matriculation) and still he was about 31 when he received the highest literary award in India (in 1967 for Loona (Verse-play):
http://www.sahitya-akademi.org/sahitya-akademi/awa10316.htm#punjabi

I have loved his poetry for a long time now. I think I read a poem by him when I was 10-12 years old (seriously, I don't remember... it was a long time back). It was in a cousin's Punjabi course-book.

It's a pity you can't access the youtube link because it is probably one of the rare interviews of Shiv. Actually, there are so many myths about him... you really don't know what is true and what is folklore!!! And that interview was really an eye-opener for me.

In fact, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan's rendering is also there on youtube... Anyways, I've also posted a few links to more punjabi literature and hope you'll like those. Unfortunately, I don't know shahmukhi so... BTW do you know Gurmukhi? Same language - two scripts!!!

[Edited at 2008-05-12 17:37]

abufaraz
Pakistan
Local time: 11:05
English to Urdu
+ ...
Both parts of Punjab are missing too much May 12, 2008

Sorry, same is the case with me. I can't read/write Gurmukhi and am missing the most wonderful part of the literature/peotry in my Maan Boli. I wish I could learn it in some way.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Shiv Kumar Batalvi (Punjabi Poet)

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs