Thread poster: Lawyer-Linguist

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:54
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jun 4, 2008

Hi,

As I've just received the fourth such request of late - from someone I incidentally don't know from a bar of soap - I'd just like to take this opportunity to publicly state that I do not provide free legal advice to translators who contact me via this website with requests ranging from collections to copyright issues.

Those I choose to help are friends or respected colleagues. You know who you are.

Cheers
Debs

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:54
English to French
+ ...
You could also add this to your profile page Jun 4, 2008

I totally understand how you feel. I was asked by people I am hardly acquainted with to translate things for them...

Maybe you should add this to your profile page as well. With the nickname you have on this site, I can imagine lots of people being tempted to contact you for free legal advice - not all of them will read this thread.

Nevertheless, I sincerely appreciate your input when you contribute to legal-flavoured threads. And to non-legal threads as well. You are already helping many of us law-wise just by participating in the forum.

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
accommodation Jun 4, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

I totally understand how you feel. I was asked by people I am hardly acquainted with to translate things for them...

I was asked for accommodation by a ProZ member I didn't know from Adam:-)

Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Billing Time Jun 5, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

Maybe you should add this to your profile page as well. With the nickname you have on this site, I can imagine lots of people being tempted to contact you for free legal advice - not all of them will read this thread.

Nevertheless, I sincerely appreciate your input when you contribute to legal-flavoured threads. And to non-legal threads as well. You are already helping many of us law-wise just by participating in the forum.

Hi Viktoria,

Thanks for your feedback and support. Although the rules rightfully do not allow legal advice to be given in the forums, it's good to know my input has been helpful now and again.

I had considered putting a message on my profile page but decided against it. My profile page is aimed at potential clients (and, as we all know, those sometimes need educating tactfully)

Having practised law, I'm used to laymen thinking lawyers can quickly help out for free, which is why I really enjoyed the link one of our colleagues posted the other day to 'Billing Time' on You Tube. That's something you inevitably have to deal with as a lawyer, like we do as translators.

However, here I'm talking about translators. Often the same translators who moan about doing free translation tests, agencies asking for quick one-liners for free, etc etc.

As in Lia's case, it's a real cheek coming from so-called professionals who should know better.

That would be like me - who honestly and quite pathetically can't boil an egg to save her life - contacting a local colleague who is obviously cuisine-savvy to say "Hey, could you pop over quickly, make a meal and give my long-suffering husband a break?"

Next time, I'll just send back the email with a link to this page. It should make my feelings on the subject clear

Have a good day
Debs

[Edited at 2008-06-05 05:11]

Colin Ryan  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
I think you'll like this... Jun 5, 2008

A doctor told me this joke once.

A doctor was at a dinner party where he met a lawyer. They got to talking about work, and the doctor said, "One thing that really annoys me is that when I meet people socially and they find out I'm a doctor, straightaway they ask me for some medical advice on some problem they're having. Do you have the same problem?"

Lawyer: Oh, yes. People ask me all the time for legal advice.

Doc: And what do you do about it?

Lawyer: I give them the advice and then I send them a bill. They never ask me again.

...The doctor is delighted at this, and decides that from now on he'll do the same, and to hell with the Hippocratic Oath. So he goes home and goes to sleep and gets up the next morning, happy as a jaybird, chuckles through his breakfast and puts on his coat to go to work. And notices the postman has just been, and that there's a bill from the lawyer...

Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I do Jun 5, 2008

ryancolm wrote:

A doctor told me this joke once.

A doctor was at a dinner party where he met a lawyer. They got to talking about work, and the doctor said, "One thing that really annoys me is that when I meet people socially and they find out I'm a doctor, straightaway they ask me for some medical advice on some problem they're having. Do you have the same problem?"

Lawyer: Oh, yes. People ask me all the time for legal advice.

Doc: And what do you do about it?

Lawyer: I give them the advice and then I send them a bill. They never ask me again.

...The doctor is delighted at this, and decides that from now on he'll do the same, and to hell with the Hippocratic Oath. So he goes home and goes to sleep and gets up the next morning, happy as a jaybird, chuckles through his breakfast and puts on his coat to go to work. And notices the postman has just been, and that there's a bill from the lawyer...

Thanks for brightening up my morning

megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Me too...computers :) Jun 5, 2008

ryancolm wrote:

..... And notices the postman has just been, and that there's a bill from the lawyer...

that one is great !!

You know? When you work in IT everyone thinks you are a sort of walking helpdesk at no cost, and available 25/8 (or was it 24/7?).

Helpdesk, advisor, technician, creative... from kitchen ovens to TV appliances, from jurassic laptops and printers to cell phones... everyone feels free to ask.

I'm going to implement that idea !!

Ruth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please, no freebies ...

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs