Off topic: World Environment Day- June 5
Thread poster: Rosina Peixoto

Rosina Peixoto  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 05:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 5, 2008

Is there a worldwide awareness of environmental issues?

What do you think of this:"Water is not running out: it is simply that there are steadily more of us to share it"?

Direct link Reply with quote

Atena Hensch  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 20:00
English to Farsi (Persian)
+ ...
global warming Jun 5, 2008

In my city (Christchurch, New Zealand), we had an expo from Environment Canterbury and Greenpeace, sustainability (a govt sector) and the local govt. were involved

It's all about Global Warming. We need to use less fuel, take care of our natural resources and consider our children and grandchildren.

Rosina Peixoto  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 05:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clean Up the World Jun 6, 2008

I used to be a teacher and our institute was a member of the international non-profit organization Clean Up the World. We conducted a campaign to collect paper and cardboard to be recycled. The students also "taught" their parents what they had learned in our classes about ecology and how to preserve it. Once we went out all together and picked up litter in squares and parks! We were authorised by the Local Town Hall. It was a rewarding job and also fun.

Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 11:00
English to Greek
+ ...
Wildfires Jun 6, 2008

Summer used to be my favourite time of the year... until last year.

Greece sufferred a lot of wildfires, a large part of forests and several villages were destroyed and dozens of people lost their lives. Even though the island where I live wasn't affected, the whole thing felt like a personal attack. I don't know (and I never will) if those wildfires were the work of arsonists, of careless people or of act of God. What I can say, is that after a rainless winter, the smallest flame can turn into hell. Last summer was the hottest summer in over twenty years. Still, people don't seem really preoccupied about the problems of the environment here - rather, they do care, but other problems are ranked higher on the list...

The problem with these "World Days" is that they're only once a year. That they give us the right to celebrate something - be it the environment, be it the rights of the children, be it the day of human rights - and then return to our little lives for one year, until the next celebration...

In my mind, unless environmental education is integrated in the school curricula, unless the media decide to dispose of the "disposable culture" of the brand-new and shiny lives that they promote, unless governments take serious action against environment violators, we will just continue to celebrate June 5 and hope that next year won't be much worse...

BTW, water isn't running out - FRESH water is running out. And there are more of us to share it...

[Edited at 2008-06-06 06:28]

juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:00
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Precisely Jun 7, 2008

Rosina Peixoto wrote:
Is there a worldwide awareness of environmental issues?

What do you think of this:"Water is not running out: it is simply that there are steadily more of us to share it"?

There seem to be a consensus of turning a blind eye on population growth even by some of the most fervent environmentalists.

Usually the lame excuse is that we need more young people to support us in our old age. I am not young any more, so I may be excused for saying that I cannot think anything wrong with working (not necessarily full time, of course) until you are able.

My father, a lecturer, worked part time until the age of 86 and it kept him going, made him happier.

Besides, less people would mean less unemployed (as long as they are willing to work), not necessarily less young ones to provide for the oldies.

It is a fundamental issue, and it has the most devastating effect on the environment, and until it is universally recognised and acted upon, all the other efforts to save the environment are largely going to be ineffective.

[Edited at 2008-06-07 00:05]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

World Environment Day- June 5

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs