Off topic: Any fellow Turkish and Portuguese translators putting the computer aside tomorrow to watch the game?
Thread poster: Cristina Pereira
Cristina Pereira
Cristina Pereira  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:01
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 6, 2008

Hi!

I wonder how is the mood out there regarding the beginning of the European Cup.

I, for one, and because the current work flow allows me to, will be barbecuing and watching the game.

I know Turkey is a very difficult team, but I hope Portugal can win, let's say... 2-1

Anyway, may the best team win!

Happy weekend,

Cristina

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:01
English to Spanish
Different strokes for different folks Jun 6, 2008

I, on the other side of the Atlantic, will be watching the Belmont Stakes to, hopefully, see Big Brown be the first thoroughbred horse to win a triple crown in over 30 years.

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Claro! Jun 6, 2008

CristinaPereira wrote:

Hi!

I wonder how is the mood out there regarding the beginning of the European Cup.

I, for one, and because the current work flow allows me to, will be barbecuing and watching the game.

I know Turkey is a very difficult team, but I hope Portugal can win, let's say... 2-1

Anyway, may the best team win!

Happy weekend,

Cristina

Hi Cristina,

Well, since my team quite pathetically failed to even qualify, at least there won't be 'war' in our house for a change - that being me vs. my Portuguese husband and we-think-anything-English-sucks-when-it-comes to football-and-food daughters

And at least I won't have to suffer the humiliation of England losing to Portugal yet again. Every time I place bets, they march me off to the Multibanco (ATM) straight afterwards to claim their winnings!

So, the only flag around my house this time will be the Portuguese one. Just hope Ronaldo can keep the euro signs out of his eyes for a while and focus on the game and not his increasingly likely future at Real Madrid.

Força Portugal!

Have a great weekend and BBQ, we'll be having one down here in Algarve too
Debs

[Edited at 2008-06-06 17:05]

Elvira Alves Barry
Elvira Alves Barry  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Portuguese to English
One more vote for the Portuguese team . . . Jun 6, 2008

and a great weekend to all our colleagues. Hope we have excellent weather for all the BBQ's.

Força Portugal!

Elvira

Cristina Pereira
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fun for everyone Jun 6, 2008

Whether it's horses or the European cup, whatever And nice weather too, because it seems BBQ's will be a must this weekend!

To Debs:

I'm sympathetic with you, because I know about Portuguese husbands, since I have one too I'm sorry for England not being around this time, an excellent competitor, but as you say, you'll spare some "battles", s
... See more
Whether it's horses or the European cup, whatever And nice weather too, because it seems BBQ's will be a must this weekend!

To Debs:

I'm sympathetic with you, because I know about Portuguese husbands, since I have one too I'm sorry for England not being around this time, an excellent competitor, but as you say, you'll spare some "battles", so you'll have more peace of mind this time (I guess). Oh, and my daughters don't like my food either (Portuguese food, as I think I'm entitled to call it). But nothing to do with any type of national cooking - they're just teenagers. I wish they were one year old again to give them that horrible potato and carrot soup and see them smiling while they were eating it.

I wish a happy weekend to everyone and nice barbecues, should it be the case!

And once more, FORÇA PORTUGAL!

Cristina
Collapse

Nizamettin Yigit
Nizamettin Yigit  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:01
Dutch to Turkish
+ ...
opening day surprise Jun 6, 2008

Dear Cristina,

I will be watching the game as well.
And you know who I wote for

both of the teams are togh players, not rough! so it will be one of the good games to watch.

as you may know Turkish people are very emotional and sensual. If a surprise does not happen at the beginning which will effect Turkish team, we will win or tie.

Portugal used the advantage of being ho
... See more
Dear Cristina,

I will be watching the game as well.
And you know who I wote for

both of the teams are togh players, not rough! so it will be one of the good games to watch.

as you may know Turkish people are very emotional and sensual. If a surprise does not happen at the beginning which will effect Turkish team, we will win or tie.

Portugal used the advantage of being host in 2004 with a nice team. This time it is a lot more difficult.

Good luck and have fun!

Nizam
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
So sad for me Jun 7, 2008

Because I love Portugal so much, I wish they played against another team and I supported them. But no matter how much I love Portugal, Turkey is mine, and I am hers, with mutual love and hate and everything in between.

So, HAYDİ TÜRKİYE!

Maaike van Vlijmen
Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Go Portugal! Jun 7, 2008

I'm Dutch, but my boyfriend is Portuguese and we have lived in Portugal. Since a couple of years I am very fanatic when it comes to football. When we visit family and friends in Lisbon, we always go to a Benfica game and I scream like a bear (in Dutch and Portuguese). Tonight I'm definitely going to watch the game (together with my boyfriend on the webcam, he lives in the US now), I love it that I have two teams My dark secret is ... See more
I'm Dutch, but my boyfriend is Portuguese and we have lived in Portugal. Since a couple of years I am very fanatic when it comes to football. When we visit family and friends in Lisbon, we always go to a Benfica game and I scream like a bear (in Dutch and Portuguese). Tonight I'm definitely going to watch the game (together with my boyfriend on the webcam, he lives in the US now), I love it that I have two teams My dark secret is that actually I support the Portuguese team more, because I know the players better (well, their names and teams) and mostly when I see games, it's in Portugal. I somehow feel more connected to the Portuguese football.
By the way, Cristina, I am a huge fan of Portuguese soups, especially the ones with potato and carrot
Enjoy the game everyone!!
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
All smiles here! Jun 7, 2008

Excellent start to the Portuguese campaign and the BBQ was pretty good too

[Edited at 2008-06-07 22:43]

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Congratulations, Portugal! Jun 7, 2008

It was a well deserved victory... Truth be told, our guys totally sucked

... but then, see you later

Elvira Alves Barry
Elvira Alves Barry  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Portuguese to English
YEAH!!!!! Jun 8, 2008

Cristina, now that you rightly predicted Portugal would win by two points, can I get you to pick out some Euromilliões numbers for me?

Sorry about Big Brown, Luisa.

Happy Sunday to everyone.

Elvira

Cristina Pereira
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Way to go, Portugal! Jun 8, 2008

Thanks to everyone who commented, especially to Özden, who took the result with such fair play. Better luck next time!

To Maaike: I always feel so proud when people from other countries support Portugal, thanks! As to soups, I do like them, but not those mashes given to the poor little babies who don't know better

Elvira, I've never won a cent in Euromilhões, so I'd better not give you any hint...
See more
Thanks to everyone who commented, especially to Özden, who took the result with such fair play. Better luck next time!

To Maaike: I always feel so proud when people from other countries support Portugal, thanks! As to soups, I do like them, but not those mashes given to the poor little babies who don't know better

Elvira, I've never won a cent in Euromilhões, so I'd better not give you any hint

Have a great Sunday, everyone!

Cristina
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any fellow Turkish and Portuguese translators putting the computer aside tomorrow to watch the game?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »