https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/10732-nigerian_4_1_9_scam_targets_freelance_translators.html

Off topic: Nigerian 4-1-9 scam targets freelance translators?
Thread poster: Todd Field
Todd Field
Todd Field  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:53
Portuguese to English
May 5, 2003

So here\'s our sob story...

Sweet new computer, brand new email account (real, not web based), a puritan selection of software (Microsoft XP programs, TRADOS, Adobe PageMaker, QuarkXpress, and not much more). Not a single click on an Internet site unrelated to translation, no subscriptions to e-newsletters, no registration of superfluous software, no late night surfing... i.e. nothing that could possibly put us in danger, at least to our knowledge.

Then
... See more

Sweet new computer, brand new email account (real, not web based), a puritan selection of software (Microsoft XP programs, TRADOS, Adobe PageMaker, QuarkXpress, and not much more). Not a single click on an Internet site unrelated to translation, no subscriptions to e-newsletters, no registration of superfluous software, no late night surfing... i.e. nothing that could possibly put us in danger, at least to our knowledge.

Then, it happened...

Within a couple of days the Nigerian 4-1-9 scammers found us. First it was one message, then another, then two or three a day. Now we are getting bombarded. Opening our email in the morning is a sad, frustrating, and painful process.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Any theories as to how they could have found their way to us so quickly? Any suggestions as to how we can get rid of them?

There\'s some interesting information on the subject on line at places like:

http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal

We\'ve tried forwarding the messages to the 419 coalition, putting up email blocks, even writing the scammers back and asking them to stop. If anyone else knows an effective method of squashing this pest once and for all, we\'d sure love to know.

It\'s not that it\'s all that inconvenient to simply delete the messages and move on... it just hurts to see our new \"baby\" polluted so quickly by something having nothing to do with our translation business.

Hope they don\'t find you too, and thanks in advance for any input you may have.

Todd and Monica
Collapse

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:53
Italian to English
+ ...
How long has your web page been up? May 5, 2003

I noticed your new web page (the one you were recently asking feedback) has a real mail address - the one at montrose dot com.

Often web pages are \"crawled\" for email addresses, and believe me, it doesn\'t take long for the address to be put on some list somewhere. If possible, try to incorporate a form for email on your web page, instead of a direct mail to link. (One of these days, I\'ll practice what I preach and do the same - I currently have a link to an \"info\" address that g
... See more
I noticed your new web page (the one you were recently asking feedback) has a real mail address - the one at montrose dot com.

Often web pages are \"crawled\" for email addresses, and believe me, it doesn\'t take long for the address to be put on some list somewhere. If possible, try to incorporate a form for email on your web page, instead of a direct mail to link. (One of these days, I\'ll practice what I preach and do the same - I currently have a link to an \"info\" address that gets all sorts of spam.)

R.

==

Quote:

On 2003-05-05 17:29, Todd Field wrote:

Then, it happened...

Within a couple of days the Nigerian 4-1-9 scammers found us. First it was one message, then another, then two or three a day. Now we are getting bombarded. Opening our email in the morning is a sad, frustrating, and painful process.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Any theories as to how they could have found their way to us so quickly? Any suggestions as to how we can get rid of them?

There\'s some interesting information on the subject on line at places like:

http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal

We\'ve tried forwarding the messages to the 419 coalition, putting up email blocks, even writing the scammers back and asking them to stop. If anyone else knows an effective method of squashing this pest once and for all, we\'d sure love to know.

It\'s not that it\'s all that inconvenient to simply delete the messages and move on... it just hurts to see our new \"baby\" polluted so quickly by something having nothing to do with our translation business.

Hope they don\'t find you too, and thanks in advance for any input you may have.

Todd and Monica

Collapse

Katherine Matles
Katherine Matles  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
I have the same problem! May 9, 2003

Bufffff. I understand your problem completely. I have a yahoo account and I get bombarded. I did the same thing as you and sent the e-mails to the 419 coalition. But it didn\'t help. Now I just keep blocking addresses. You\'re right. It\'s frustating! So if anyone has any ideas to be rid of the problem, I would be really grateful.

It\'s strange but I don\'t have the same problem with my regular account...

Evelyna Radoslavova
Evelyna Radoslavova  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:53
English to French
+ ...
Just don't answer! May 12, 2003

I used to receive one or two per day, I ignored and deleted them and now they are down to one a month. I read somewhere that these are automatic mailings targeting businesses. The fact is that, as with any spam, if you do answer, you confirm that your e-mail address exists and spam multiplies.

Good luck.
[addsig]

Péter Tófalvi
Péter Tófalvi  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Be rude Jun 12, 2003

I also received many letters of this kind.
One day I lost my patience, and sent the following one-sentence reply:

"If I come there and f* your big n*r a*, I'm sure u won't send me any e-mails of this kind anymore."
Now I am quiet.
Pls don't try this.
Maybe won't work for you.

Larisa Migachyov
Larisa Migachyov
United States
Local time: 11:53
Russian to English
Just ignore them - you'll live longer Jun 17, 2003

I never answer spam. I don't know why people are so bothered by it; I just delete it and it's not there anymore. Paper junk mail is much worse; you have to throw it out or recycle it or whatever. With spam, it's one click and it's gone. I had a rash of Nigerian spam a few months back, and now I very seldom get one. Can't remember the last time I had one.

I did answer one Nigerian spammer, asking her very seriously exactly why she thought that I was such a sucker that I'd fall f
... See more
I never answer spam. I don't know why people are so bothered by it; I just delete it and it's not there anymore. Paper junk mail is much worse; you have to throw it out or recycle it or whatever. With spam, it's one click and it's gone. I had a rash of Nigerian spam a few months back, and now I very seldom get one. Can't remember the last time I had one.

I did answer one Nigerian spammer, asking her very seriously exactly why she thought that I was such a sucker that I'd fall for this stuff. The reply was as expected.
Collapse

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Never, never, answer spam Jun 20, 2003

It will just confirm that your address exists.

You have to report to:

US Secret Service - 419 Nigerian Mail Fraud: [email protected]

I do it every time.
Other useful links

http://www.secretservice.gov/alert419.shtml
<
... See more
It will just confirm that your address exists.

You have to report to:

US Secret Service - 419 Nigerian Mail Fraud: [email protected]

I do it every time.
Other useful links

http://www.secretservice.gov/alert419.shtml

http://www.419fraud.com/419_contacts.htm
Collapse

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Security on internet Jun 20, 2003

Rick Henry wrote:

There are robots "harvesting" on internet days and nights.

It really begins to be a problem, the security on internet. I have read some sites where they tell you all what happen now when you connect. Hair rising!

I am planning to get a proxy server to surf anonymously.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Nigerian 4-1-9 scam targets freelance translators?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »