Mobile menu

Off topic: Visa question
Thread poster: Maria Knorr
Maria Knorr
Local time: 18:47
+ ...
May 13, 2003

Completely off topic, but maybe someone can tell me the difference between getting visa in person (on consulate) or getting it by mail. I tried calling the consulate, but all I get is a machine. If I have to go in person, it\'s about a 6 hour drive plus the night that I\'d have to spent in NYC.


P.S. I am going from US to France.

P.P.S. I tried pushing zero but it just takes me to the beginning of the message.

[ This Message was edited by: Mashulya on 2003-05-13 18:51]

Direct link Reply with quote

Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:47
Member (2001)
French to English
+ ...
Visa question May 13, 2003

Hello Maria,

For which country?

I can\'t tell you what the policy is today, but in the past, for a US visa, whle living in the US my husband had to go personally to the consulate to receive a visa. In France, I also had to go personally to the consulate outside of France to receive my resident visa for France. It had to be delivered in person and off the French territory.

It\'s not easy, is it. We have always had to make long trips for visas.

Good luck.


Direct link Reply with quote
Jane Lamb-Ruiz  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Push the zero button May 13, 2003

Try pushing the zero to get a real person.

Direct link Reply with quote

Yelena.  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:47
English to Russian
+ ...
If you can't get through, don't press any extension at all May 13, 2003

If you can\'t get through, don\'t press any extension at all, once you\'ve dialled the number... this might work...

I applied for visas by post (in the UK) and got my documents back without any problem...

Direct link Reply with quote

Dinorah Maria Tijerino-Acosta
Local time: 17:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is my knowledge that if you are an American citizen May 14, 2003

with a USA passport you do not need a visa to go from USA to France.

Hope it helps,


Direct link Reply with quote
Linda Young
Local time: 00:47
French to English
+ ...
No need for a visa May 14, 2003

Hi Maria,

I actually live in France and have just phone the foreign affairs office for you. If you are an american citizen and you will be staying for less than three months, you do not need a visa.




Direct link Reply with quote
Maria Knorr
Local time: 18:47
+ ...
Thanks May 14, 2003

Thank you for the information. I am going for more than 3 months, so I will need visa (long stay).

Thanks for your help (everyone).


Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Visa question

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs