Mobile menu

Off topic: Wanted: Info about Trinidad & Tobago
Thread poster: Irene Schlotter, Dipl.-Übers.

Irene Schlotter, Dipl.-Übers.
Local time: 00:21
English to German
+ ...
Jul 23, 2008

Hello colleagues,

we are planning to spend time in Trinidad and Tobago in early 2009. I am particularly interested in Trinidad as - a long time ago - I wrote a linguistic study on the English-based creole of Port of Spain and the Calypso culture. Of course I would like to experience Carnival, steel drums and the whole package, but I would prefer to do so not from any five-star hotel, but from small, personal accomodation that invites communication and interchange (rum not excluded, mark you!).

Does anyone have experience? Can anyone help me with hints or the like?
I would greatly appreciate any comments, help, advice.

Best regards,

[Bearbeitet am 2008-07-23 13:43]

Direct link Reply with quote
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:21
French to English
+ ...
According to my niece Jul 23, 2008

whose father lives in Tobago, Tobago is the best place to be - best beaches, slower and friendlier than Trinidad. Depends obviously what you want.

Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:21
English to Italian
a few links and tips Jul 23, 2008

Trinidad is lively and busy, Tobago on the other hand is calmer and has a more relaxed atmosphere. It's actually very easy to visit both islands either by ferry (it takes 2 hrs) or via air (a mere15 mins flight).

Here are a couple of links where to get some info about the 2 islands:

In Trinidad there is a little guesthouse called Shalom Guesthouse which has received pretty good reviews from those who stayed there. Prices are really affordable, but remember, it's a very basic structure, nothing fancy. Check it out:

Hope this helps a bit.

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:21
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Memories Jul 23, 2008

Hi Irene

When I used to live in Venezuela I went to Trinidad & Tobago for the Carnival. We had planned to go just to Port of Spain but when I bought the tickets, for one more dollar you could also have the trip to Tobago. There we rent a car and we could visit it in two days.

I think that before the Carnival the atmosphere is better than after it. Once the carnival is finished, people have spent, danced, eaten and drank all they could, so they just sleep.

I can't help you with the accomodation.
I'd say that you'll enjoy more if you don't have small kids. I liked the cooking, with different ethnic origines.

Irene Schlotter, Dipl.-Übers.
Local time: 00:21
English to German
+ ...
Keep 'em coming, those precious informative tidbits! Jul 24, 2008

Thanks canaria: We are planning a combined trip. I wanted to meet linguists in Trinidad and do some research in that respect, and later on we will hop to Tobago. I am also considering to do some diving but as of now I don't even have the diver's pass so - who knows? One thing is for sure - I won't miss those beaches!

Thanks Liliana: Great links! I already found airshuttle but we are not sure yet what to catch. I would go with any transport - the wobblier, the better. Also thanks for the guesthouse link. I checked it out and contacted them. Let's see whether there are still vacancies - apparently places tend to be booked out very early.

Thanks Claudia: Your hint regarding the timing is priceless. I never thought about that even though it is the most logical of all consequences. And no, we don't have kids. Do you remember which was the company with which you booked your flights to Trinidad and then also to Tobago? We will be bound to go through the US but that last leg from the US can be with a US or a Caribbean carrier. If the latter is the case we might just be able to do exactly what you describe - get an extra flight and that's that.

Thanks a lot, all of you! I am very excited already.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wanted: Info about Trinidad & Tobago

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs