Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:24
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 11, 2008

Hallo fellow translators,
Sorry for posting this in English, but I don't speak Farsi.
I'm travelling to Turkey, then I'd like to continue my journey and was considering Iran. Do you have any advice for me? If I manage (it depends on my visa too), I hope I can meet some of you
Cheers,
Paola

Atena Hensch
Atena Hensch  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 10:24
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
Advice Aug 12, 2008

I am an Iranian but I don't live in Iran any longer. I live in New Zealand and I married to a Swiss man. I might not the best person to advice you but I can tell you few things.

you need to take a scarf with you as it is a compulsory to cover hair. You need to have a long sleeve dress to cover your arm and your leg. But it's not very restricted as you may hear and see in the news.

Buy Iran from the Lonely Planet series, but not everything which is said in that book is t
... See more
I am an Iranian but I don't live in Iran any longer. I live in New Zealand and I married to a Swiss man. I might not the best person to advice you but I can tell you few things.

you need to take a scarf with you as it is a compulsory to cover hair. You need to have a long sleeve dress to cover your arm and your leg. But it's not very restricted as you may hear and see in the news.

Buy Iran from the Lonely Planet series, but not everything which is said in that book is true. It gives you a good overview!

Be aware of the money issues. The currency is Rial but every body use the word Toman. My husband shocked when the taxi driver said "the fare is 500 toman and he garbed 5000 Rial from his hand". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_rial

I hope you enjoy your trip.

Cheers
Atena
Collapse

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
by Train Aug 12, 2008

If you are with friends, I would like to suggest you to travel by train.
It will take 66 hours from Istanbul to Tehran. And you would see a lot of cities both in Turkey and Iran.

For more information:
http://www.tcdd.gov.tr/tcdding/ortadogu_ing.htm

[Edited at 2008-08-12 21:57]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Maybe visiting Iran

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »