Thread poster: Williamson
Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:47
Flemish to English
+ ...
Aug 14, 2008

Suppose you want to learn how to built a pc yourself, learn something about Windows/Linux, become a proficient office user, learn how to use photoshop or webdesign with flash, you can go to adult education training centres where evening classes are given.
I have never looked into the details of these centres in Britain, France and Germany. I guess that in Germany these classes are given at the IHK or Volkshogeschule, but what about Britain, Switzerland and France. References to website wit
... See more
Suppose you want to learn how to built a pc yourself, learn something about Windows/Linux, become a proficient office user, learn how to use photoshop or webdesign with flash, you can go to adult education training centres where evening classes are given.
I have never looked into the details of these centres in Britain, France and Germany. I guess that in Germany these classes are given at the IHK or Volkshogeschule, but what about Britain, Switzerland and France. References to website with regard to adult education would be welcome.
Collapse

Cristina Cajoto
Cristina Cajoto  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Britain: Colleges and Community Learning Services Aug 14, 2008

As far as I know, in Britain you can find evening classes for adults at Colleges or Community Learning Services run by Councils. Check these websites for a couple of places where I worked which offer ... See more
As far as I know, in Britain you can find evening classes for adults at Colleges or Community Learning Services run by Councils. Check these websites for a couple of places where I worked which offer this type of education:

www.cityofbristolcollege.ac.uk
http://www.southglos.gov.uk/NR/exeres/eab94bbb-a22e-4dd0-b0f8-792b9ed6b12d

Regards,

Cristina.
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:47
French to English
France: contact your OPCA Aug 14, 2008

In France, I think adults would start by checking with their OPCA to find out what kind of training is available, and to get a list of the "centres de formation professionnels". Here's an interesting link:

http://www.formaguide.com/organismes/liste_organisme.php

Rosie Blagg (X)
Rosie Blagg (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Many UK universities have adult education centres... Aug 14, 2008

...so search for your local university, plus "adult education", "lifelong learning" or "continuing education".

Good luck!

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Also... Aug 17, 2008

the Open University in the UK
http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More expensive Aug 17, 2008

I have the impression that the cost of some trainings are more expensive in the UK than elsewhere in Europe. £395 for a course about networks, whereas for that money i can get 8 courses in other countries: theory about computers, website building/programming, databases, Vba and 120 hours of VB.net at a price of £180

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Floodlight Aug 17, 2008

For London, you might want to try:

http://www.floodlight.co.uk/pls/courses/fl_home.pg_home

There are sometimes discounts if you're on any kind of benefits, but studying in the UK is generally not cheap.

[Edited at 2008-08-18 06:49]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adult Education Centres

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »