Off topic: Have you heard of Kiva?
Thread poster: Allesklar

Allesklar  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:49
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Aug 23, 2008

I just made a loan to someone in the developing world using a revolutionary new website called Kiva (

You can go to Kiva's website and lend to someone in the developing world who needs a loan for their business - like raising goats, selling vegetables at market or making bricks. Each loan has a picture of the entrepreneur, a description of their business and how they plan to use the loan so you know exactly how your money is being spent - and you get updates letting you know how the entrepreneur is going.

The best part is, when the entrepreneur pays back their loan you get your money back - and Kiva's loans are managed by microfinance institutions on the ground who have a lot of experience doing this, so you can trust that your money is being handled responsibly.

I just made a loan to an entrepreneur named Marlene Huacausi AÑanca in Peru. They still need another $500.00 to complete their loan request of $1,600.00 (you can loan as little as $25.00!). Help me get this entrepreneur off the ground by clicking on the link below to make a loan to Marlene Huacausi AÑanca too:

It's finally easy to actually do something about poverty - using Kiva I know exactly who my money is loaned to and what they're using it for. And most of all, I know that I'm helping them build a sustainable business that will provide income to feed, clothe, house and educate their family long after my loan is paid back.

Join me in changing the world - one loan at a time.

What others are saying about

'Revolutionising how donors and lenders in the US are connecting with small entrepreneurs in developing countries.'
-- BBC

'If you've got 25 bucks, a PC and a PayPal account, you've now got the wherewithal to be an international financier.'
-- CNN Money

'Smaller investors can make loans of as little as $25 to specific individual entrepreneurs through a service launched last fall by'
-- The Wall Street Journal

'An inexpensive feel-good investment opportunity...All loaned funds go directly to the applicants, and most loans are repaid in full.'
-- Entrepreneur Magazine

Direct link Reply with quote

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:19
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Yes! Aug 23, 2008

Good idea - as many translators have Paypal accounts anyway, it is so easy.
Thank you for the link.

Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
+ ...
good idea Aug 23, 2008

Hope it works...
I made a small loan also. Hopefully it will help someone.

Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thx! Aug 25, 2008

Thx for letting us know... I've made my tiny contribution, hope it works for them

Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
First repayment received Oct 13, 2008

Just wanted to let you know, that today I have received the first repayment on the small loan I made

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have you heard of Kiva?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs